What is the bankruptcy rule for marital property? 6 Answers as of September 02, 2014

My wife filed bankruptcy last year due to us getting a notice of garnishment. From our understanding in AZ if it was marital property and it was discharged under her bankruptcy they should stop them from filling it against me as well?

I am not licensed is Arizona. I can not answer that question, sorry.
EDWARD P RUSSELL | EDWARD P RUSSELL
The bankruptcy discharge only affects the debts of the petitioner.
D.J. Rausa, Attorney at Law | D.J. Rausa
If the garnishment order is on both of you, then the judgment creditor can no longer proceed against the debtor. However, there is no co-debtor protection after discharge.
You should speak to an Arizona attorney as this is for NY attorneys and the regulations change state to state.
Law Offices of Daniel J Winter
Law Offices of Daniel J Winter | Daniel J Winter
You need to call a lawyer here in Illinois. Bankruptcy filing only eliminates that person's liability, not the spouse's. You may need to file for bankruptcy as well.
    Barnhart Law Office
    Barnhart Law Office | Bruce C Barnhart
    A bankruptcy discharges liabilities of the party filing bankruptcy. If your spouse filed an individual bankruptcy, her bankruptcy would have discharged her liabilities, but not your liabilities. If you are liable for one of her debts, the creditor may sue you.