What is the average cost of a divorce in California? 4 Answers as of October 19, 2010

I have been legally separated from my spouse for over a year now but we have not filed for divorce yet because we do not know if we can afford it. We have not talked to a lawyer yet, but I want to know how much the average divorce costs for a couple.

Goldberg Jones
Goldberg Jones | Zephyr Hill
You do not need to know what an average divorce costs. You need to know what your divorce will cost. If you have agreed on all the terms of your settlement, you could do the case yourself and it would cost you the court filing fee of $355 and some time off work. On the other hand, you could hire an attorney to do an uncontested case for about $1,500.

If you are not in agreement and you have issues that need to be litigated such as child custody or spousal support, you could spend upwards of $10,000 on average.
It depends on how much your attorney charges. It really varies.
Hale Law Group
Hale Law Group | Joshua D. Hale
There is no average, it depends on the property in the divorce, and kids. No attorney will likely accurately project costs without lots of information, and then the answer is it depends on your soon to be ex-spouse and their attorney.