What is the average child support amount for two children if I make a gross of $50,000 and my wife makes $30,000? 9 Answers as of June 10, 2013

I am preparing on asking my wife for a divorce. I would like to avoid a long drawn out court battle if at all possible. We have 2 children (9 and 10). I was wondering what the average child support/alimony payment would or should be if I make (gross) $50,000 a year and she makes (gross) $30,000 a year?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Attorney at Law | Aimee C. Robbins
You also need to state if their are childcare expenses paid, the amount of monthly medical expenses and any other monthly expenses paid for the child, like orthodontia, eg.
Answer Applies to: Maryland
Replied: 6/10/2013
Shimberg and Crohn, P.C. | Jonathan Shimberg
Probably no alimony abut 28% of your correctly computed net income plus day care and 50% of uncovered medical as child support.
Answer Applies to: Illinois
Replied: 6/4/2013
John Russo | John Russo
Your matter does not call for alimony, and to accurately compute child support would require more info, but I will give you a ball park number which does not take into account any credits either party may be entitled to, your combined joint monthly income is $6,667.00, based on our guidelines RI, the monthly support number based on that income for two (2) children would be $1,607.00 per month. Your share of that number would 63% or $1,012.00 per month which would be broken down by pay period, if weekly then you would pay her (if she has placement) $235.00 per week, now day care cost are separate so if the children required work related daycare expenses you would divide theses the same way 63% you 37% her, also many States don't include uninsured , unreimbursed medical expenses, those are usually divided 50/50, things like co-pays etc. I don't use pennies and I round so if you try to do this to tie in I rounded off, also check with your State guidelines some build in medical co-pays etc. Child support is mandated and governed by the federal government not the State's but each state can do things differently as long as they do not go below the federal minimum guidelines. Also, like I stated you are entitled to certain credits such as health insurance cost etc. so check with your State. Also, when you break down to weeks, there are 4.3 weeks in a month.
Answer Applies to: Rhode Island
Replied: 6/4/2013
Webster & Associates | Anita Webster
Depends on the custodial arrangement. If she has custody you pay 25% of your gross monthly income up to the statutory cap for your income group. If you share joint physical custody it is 25% of each of your incomes with the resulting balance being capped at the statutory rate for the high wage earner's income group. This response is intended to provide general information only and is not a substitute for speaking to an attorney. This response does not create an attorney client relationship between the Anita Webster, Esq. or Webster & Associates and the readers.
Answer Applies to: Nevada
Replied: 6/4/2013
David A. Browde, P.C.
David A. Browde, P.C. | David Browde
There are a number of factors that go into the calculation of child support - but without looking at any of them you might think in terms of $850 per month or so.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 6/4/2013
    Petit & Dommershausen SC
    Petit & Dommershausen SC | Tajara Dommershausen
    Depends on placement schedule.
    Answer Applies to: Wisconsin
    Replied: 6/4/2013
    Kunin &Carman | Ishi Kunin
    Each state sets forth a calculation for child support. In Nevada it is a percentage of gross monthly income, and then dependent on the custodial arrangement. Nevada also has caps. For 2 children, 25% of gross monthly income is paid. You would owe her $1042 if she has primary; she would owe you $625 if you have primary. And you would owe her the difference of $417 if you have joint physical custody. Alimony is based on numerous factors and not a formula.
    Answer Applies to: Nevada
    Replied: 6/4/2013
    Warner Center Law Offices of Donald F. Conviser
    Warner Center Law Offices of Donald F. Conviser | Donald F. Conviser
    You haven't provided sufficient information for Child Support to be calculated, and Permanent Spousal Support is based on Family Code Section 4320 factors, and there is no formula to calculate it. Your percentage of custodial timeshare is required for Child Support calculations. With your figures, you will likely not have to pay any Temporary Spousal Support.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 6/4/2013
    Law Office Of Jody A. Miller
    Law Office Of Jody A. Miller | Jody A. Miller
    Child support is based on much more than incomes of the parents. It includes health insurance cost, day care or child care costs, extraordinary health care or educational costs, extracurricular activities, summer camp, and possibly several other figures. You should schedule a consultation with an attorney who can tell you what financial figures to bring to a consultation, and based on those figures they can run the required child support worksheet and at least get an initial ball part figure. You can also Google "Georgia office child support services child support calculator" and attempt the worksheet yourself.
    Answer Applies to: Georgia
    Replied: 6/4/2013
Click to View More Answers: