What arrangement would be legal for me to help my friend and then receive a part of his settlement? 3 Answers as of February 16, 2017

A friend asked me to get involved in his legal case. A car crashed into his car while he was stopped causing fairly severe injury. He's not business or legal-world savvy and just wants someone to generally help negotiate from a business standpoint and give me a piece of the settlement if any. My guess is we're not talking big moneys, just a couple hundred grand. I have extensive legal experience because I lead legal strategy and litigation at our real estate and insurance firm, but I'm not an attorney. Thanks in advance for any help.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Ofices of Edwin K. Niles | Edwin K. Niles
Be careful! It sounds like practicing law without a license.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 2/16/2017
Frank Law Group, P.C.
Frank Law Group, P.C. | David E. Frank
You would need a financial power of attorney authorizing you to negotiate on his behalf. But, that may still violate your state's laws on practicing law without a license. Moreover, insurance companies rarely payout the kind of money you are talking about without a lawyer representing the accident victim.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 2/15/2017
Law Offices of George H. Shers | George H. Shers
You would be practicing law for compensation without a license which is illegal. Your friend should see if he can find a licensed attorney who will handle the matter on an hourly fee basis. When the insurance company learns you are not an attorney, at best they will give a low ball offer. The case is not worth "just a few hundred thousands" unless the medical bills are high and the injury very severe. Real estate law and personal injury law are very different. What you do at your firm might also be questionable, but you do not give us any facts to know what the situation is.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 2/15/2017
Click to View More Answers: