What are you facing for a first time petty theft charge of $30? 11 Answers as of July 30, 2013

I was allegedly caught stealing , paid for an item and forgot 2 movies and a baby item in my cart and got a citation to court in a week.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Universal Law Group, Inc. | Francis John Cowhig
Depending on the amount allegedly stolen and the jurisdiction where the event occurred, shoplifting can be met with a mere citation (infraction), or charged as a misdemeanor or even a felony, with possible jail sentences of 6 months to 3 years. It will be up to the D.A. to determine how the crime will be charged.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 7/30/2013
Timothy J. Thill P.C.
Timothy J. Thill P.C. | Timothy J. Thill
How could you forget three other items, if you paid for the one item only? You will probably get an expungeable sentence, which should not affect your permanent criminal record, PROVIDED you are a first time offender.
Answer Applies to: Illinois
Replied: 7/30/2013
Chambers Law Firm
Chambers Law Firm | Dan E. Chambers
It depends on a lot of factors. In some counties in California, you might be eligible for a diversion program which, if completed, will result in a dismissal of charges.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 7/30/2013
Lawrence Lewis
Lawrence Lewis | Lawrence Lewis, PC
Probation, fine and community service, and problems with employment.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 7/30/2013
Law Office of Jeff Yeh
Law Office of Jeff Yeh | Jeff Yeh
Petty theft is a crime of moral turpitude, and if convicted you can kiss your career aspirations goodbye. Hire a lawyer before you get duped into a plea you will regret for life.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 7/30/2013
    Gates' Law, PLLC | Thomas E. Gates
    In Washington, you have committed a gross misdemeanor which has a sentencing range of 364 days in jail and $5,000 fine. For your first offense, you can expect to be sentenced to attend a consumer awareness class, do community service, pay a fine, pay restitution, stay away from the store, have no further criminal violations, and be on probation for one year. You will also have to pay a civil fine. There may be a diversion program that you can enter, which will help you avoid a criminal record. There are options an attorney can exercise to minimize the negative impact to you.
    Answer Applies to: Washington
    Replied: 7/30/2013
    The Rogers Law Firm
    The Rogers Law Firm | Andrea Storey Rogers
    In Missouri, the maximum penalty for misdemeanor shoplifting (under $500) is 1 year in jail and a fine of $1,000. You need to hire a criminal defense attorney to represent you to keep from having a petty theft conviction on your permanent criminal record.
    Answer Applies to: Missouri
    Replied: 7/30/2013
    Charles M. Schiff, Attorney at Law
    Charles M. Schiff, Attorney at Law | Charles M. Schiff
    The penalty for a first time shoplifting is not likely to be extreme. Your bigger concern is the record it could create. This can adversely affect you in a number of ways later in life. You should defend regardless of whether you committed the offense. This is the only chance you have to keep this off your record.
    Answer Applies to: Minnesota
    Replied: 7/30/2013
    Law Office of Richard Southard
    Law Office of Richard Southard | Richard C Southard
    You are facing a class A misdemeanor of Petit Larceny punishable up to one year in jail. For first timers you should be able to enter into some plea bargain that avoids jail and will not result in your having a criminal record.
    Answer Applies to: New York
    Replied: 7/30/2013
    Michael Breczinski
    Michael Breczinski | Michael Breczinski
    You want to get a lawyer and work out something so you end up with no criminal record. If you truly forgot the items, then that is a defense. You can't accidentally steal. No criminal record is important, What employer wants to hire a thief?
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 7/30/2013
    Law Office of Brendan M. Kelly
    Law Office of Brendan M. Kelly | Brendan M. Kelly
    Get a lawyer and hopefully they can have the charges dismissed. We do this for our clients, most of the time.
    Answer Applies to: Nebraska
    Replied: 7/30/2013
Click to View More Answers: