What are the typical costs for someone who files for bankruptcy? 11 Answers as of April 29, 2015

How much does a bankruptcy cost?

If you are talking about a Chapter 7 filing, you have to pay the attorney fee (which varies), plus the court filing fee of $335, and in our office, a credit report fee of $75 (this will get you three credit reports. Any creditor not listed may not be discharged, that's why I pull credit reports). Be careful of "low" fee ads. A large number of these attorneys charge "extra" for what is normally included in a standard Chapter 7 filing. Their fees typically exceed what I charge. I think experience is more important, and the attorney's reputation. Make sure they are in good standing with the Bar, and the BBB. Good luck!
Depends on the attorney but most run between $1,500 and $2,500 with $335 filing fee.
Charles Schneider, P.C.
Charles Schneider, P.C. | Charles J. Schneider
There is no such thing as a typical cost. People have different debts, income and assets. One size does not fit all.
Legal fees, court costs, administrative expenses, and the required classes can set you back anywhere from $1,500 to over $15,000. What is it you need bankruptcy to accomplish for you? The more you need to accomplish, the more bankruptcy is likely to cost you. For example, if you need to save your house from foreclosure, pay off taxes or child support debts within a structure to keep your wages or other assets from being seized, expect to pay more than if you are a wage earner with a single job or source of income, have fewer than 10 debts and can comply with reasonable instructions from an attorney.
Cost vary widely. I am on the low end of the scale at $900.00 plus the filing fee of $335.00 in the Central District of California. I feel I can charge less, have happy clients and get referrals (which is cheaper than expensive advertising).
    The Court charges filing fees: $335 for a Chapter 7, and a few dollars less for a Chapter 13. Fees for a Chapter 11 have gone up to something a bit over $1,700.,00. Lawyers' fees in this area range from about $1,000 to 2,500 for a personal chapter 7 or 13, and much more for a Chapter 11 (or Chapter 12, which is Family Farmer Reorganization). Good Luck.
    Court cost is $335. There are a couple online courses you're required to take for $10 each. My fee for a consumer chapter 7 is $750. A law firm with a lot of expensive advertising will probably charge $1,500. Another important item is add ons, does the firm charge for copies, phone calls, etc., etc.
    Law Office of Michael Johnson
    Law Office of Michael Johnson | Michael Johnson
    Depends on your facts. You should consult with an attorney in your area.
    Tokarska Law Center
    Tokarska Law Center | Kathryn U. Tokarska
    There are different types of bankruptcies. I assume you are asking about chapter 7. The legal fees in my area typically range from $1,000 and up, with most of the more typical cases falling in the $1,500 range. The court filing fee is currently $335. Exemptions to the court filing fee may be approved for a debtor who is the VERY low income bracket (if you qualify for food stamps you are there) and have basic limited assets. Additional costs include: getting a credit report $33 for individual, $53 for joint report. Required credit counseling course. One before the case is filed and another a few weeks later. I generally steer people to a vendor that provides them at $9.95 each.
    The typical costs are attorney's fees, court filing fees and the fee for the consumer credit counseling courses. The actual coat depends on the type of bankruptcy you file. The chapter 7 filing fee is $336 while the chapter 13 fee is $306. Credit counseling is about $50 for both courses.
    The filing fee for a 7 is $335. I charge $950 flat fee for simple cases, but that's a good deal.