What are the steps to take if a father wants to give up his parental rights? 10 Answers as of February 18, 2013

My son’s father is wanting to sign his rights over. I’m trying to figure out how to do that and what all costs would I have to go through. And would I have to let him see him at all? Would he have to pay his back child support still or no?

In Idaho, before a parent can give up his or her rights, there has to be someone to step in and take that parent's place. So, do you have husband willing to adopt? If so, then file an adoption action and get your ex- to sign off his rights. The child support will end. It probably won't be worth the trouble to go after past support.
Carey and Leisure | John Smitten
If there is a step-parent ready to adopt it is easy. If not then you need a lawyer to handle this as courts don't just let fathers terminate their rights, as the court will not leave a child without a legal father.
Henry Lebensbaum | Henry Lebensbaum
This type of action is a little complicated and you can save yourself some grief by hiring attorney.
You need to counsel with an attorney. His giving up his rights in Michigan would not re Live him of past, or future support obligations.
I will end this by answering only the first part of your question so that you can stop trying to figure this out now and get on to other things in your life. The only way to even start this is if you have a new spouse or possibly a fiance who is willing to file a petition to adopt the minor child and the court finds them to be a proper and fit person to adopt. Think about what you are asking, if every bust out parent could get around child support obligations by signing off on there rights and having them terminated, THEY WOULD ALL DO IT, not happening.
    You need to have an court hearing to terminate your rights. It needs to be by a court order.
    There is no procedure in Colorado, nor in almost every other state, for a parent to voluntarily give up parental rights for the purpose of avoiding child support. The only way for him to get off the hook and lose his rights to be a parent is if there is an adoption by another person.
    LAW OFFICE OF ANNE B. HOWARD | Anne B. Howard
    You cannot just end his rights unless someone else is picking them up - an adoption.
    WARM SPRINGS LAW GROUP | Elliott D. Yug
    In Nevada you need to file a Petition to Terminate Parental Rights. If back child support is owed to you, you can waive it or not. If the back child support is owed to the State then you cannot waive it.