What are the steps of obtaining a U visa? 9 Answers as of June 19, 2013

My friend is 17 a citizen of South Korea. She is repeatedly raped by her legal guardian. She is held by a legal contract to be under his care until she turns 19. She will not report it because she does not want to be sent back with her biological father and the rapist may have video tapes black mailing her.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Offices of Kenneth Wincorn P.C.
Law Offices of Kenneth Wincorn P.C. | Kenneth Wincorn
The criminal case must be filed to obtain a U visa. She should call the police and make a report.
Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 3/22/2012
Law Offices of Alan R. Diamante, APLC
Law Offices of Alan R. Diamante, APLC | Alan R. Diamante
She needs to file a report with the police and cooperate.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 3/16/2012
Law Office of Bijal Jani | Bijal Jani
From the information in your inquiry, it seems your friend would be a candidate for the U visa. The U visa is a visa dedicated to helping persons who have been abused after being in the USA.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 3/12/2012
Law Offices of Grinberg and Segal
Law Offices of Grinberg and Segal | Alexander Segal
The first step would be to report the crime to the local police. Your friend will need to cooperate with the investigation. As long as she has reported the crime and is cooperative, she can then apply for a U-visa. This will require demonstrating she was a victim of a crime and she is cooperative in the investigation. As part of the process, you will need the local law enforcement or district attorney to complete a certification. It would be in your friends best interest to report the crime immediately and consult with an experienced immigration attorney regarding the matter.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 3/12/2012
Hilf & Hilf PLC
Hilf & Hilf PLC | Sufen Hilf
Your friend should consult with an immigration lawyer as soon as possible.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 6/19/2013
    Law Offices of David Stoller, PA | David H. Stoller
    Your questions raise some serious concerns about matters both legal, moral and ethical. If the events you are talking about ate true, it would appear to me that someone is being victimized on what seems like a frequent basis. So my advice is that you hire the services of competent attorney and make inquiry as to the appropriate course of action. There may be some help out there and it is important to act quickly to find the right person to handle the case. If you dont have financial resources, there are organization with whom you could discuss your case and the legal service providers may be able to get resolved well before any trouble heads your way. Be careful and make sure that you consult with someone who is qualified and who will answer your questions. We are talkin a possible T visa and or U visa. Of course nothing is guaranteed, but you need to find guidance and counsel along the way.
    Answer Applies to: Florida
    Replied: 3/12/2012
    Baughman & Wang
    Baughman & Wang | Justin X. Wang
    She should report the rape to police immediately. She will be protected by the social services and police. She can then file for U visa with the help of immigration lawyer or other organization. She will not be taken back to her country by her father or any others. Her "contract" with that man to "care" for her until she is 19 is of no legal effect.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 3/12/2012
    Immigration Law Offices of Misiti Global, PLLC.
    Immigration Law Offices of Misiti Global, PLLC. | Nicklaus Misiti
    Her situation sound horrible, she definitely needs some help out of it. If you want general information do a google search on U Visa. She will need to work with an attorney.
    Answer Applies to: New York
    Replied: 3/12/2012
    Theresa E. Tilton, Attorney at Law
    Theresa E. Tilton, Attorney at Law | Theresa E. Tilton
    The facts you relate are horrifying. She needs the assistance of an expert immigration lawyer, immediately. The lawyer will help the girl handle the reports to the police, which is a prerequisite for the U visa. It is not clear from your question where this girl is. I have never heard of a such a contract as you mention. In the United States, minors cannot enter into contracts. Since she will be an adult at age eighteen, there is nothing to legally hold her until age nineteen, anyway.
    Answer Applies to: Washington
    Replied: 3/12/2012
Click to View More Answers: