What are the steps for a voluntary dismissal of bankruptcy chapter 13? 21 Answers as of June 19, 2014

I am in chapter 13 and have decided to give up my home (not worth upkeep of what is owed/property value). How can I voluntarily dismiss my plan?

Benson Law Firm
Benson Law Firm | David Benson
File a motion to dismiss.
If it has not been converted or dismissed before now you file a request for dismissal.
Prepare and file motion to dismiss. If you stop making Chapter 13 Trustee payments, the Trustee will file motion to dismiss your case.
Law Office of Melissa Botting | Melissa Botting
If the bankruptcy was a voluntary filing, it can be dismissed by filing a motion to dismiss. The court will set a hearing on the dismissal, but it is usually granted.
File an ex parte motion with the court to dismiss your case. You have the absolute right to do this at any time in a Chapter 13 case.
    You can do it by motion, or stop making the payments and the trustee will dismiss it.
    The Law Offices of Andrew D. Myers
    The Law Offices of Andrew D. Myers | Andrew Myers
    The procedure is very simple. All you do is file a Voluntary Motion to Dismiss Chapter 13 Case pursuant to 11 U.S.C. 1307(b). That section of the U.S. Bankruptcy Code provides that the court "shall" dismiss the Chapter 13 case at any time upon request of the debtor, unless the case was converted to a Chapter 13 from a Chapter 7, 11 or 12. However, I caution you to consult with an experienced bankruptcy attorney before you consider pulling the plug to become aware of other ramifications and issues you may well face. So it is in your best interest in the long run to fully evaluate ramifications of a voluntary dismissal before you pull the plug. I truly hope this information gives you help and perspective.
    EDWARD P RUSSELL | EDWARD P RUSSELL
    You can just file a statement with the court that you are voluntarily terminating the bankruptcy.
    Emery, Kast & Walker, PLLC
    Emery, Kast & Walker, PLLC | Felecia Leann Walker
    You can either file a Notice of Voluntary Dismissal with the Court or request it verbally at the next confirmation hearing (if your case isn't already confirmed). If so, be sure to request that all funds on hand be returned to you less the Trustee's costs.
    Law Office of Michael Johnson
    Law Office of Michael Johnson | Michael Johnson
    You can file a motion with the court or just stop paying plan and the case will get dismissed for failure to not pay. I would recommend that you either modify your plan to take the property out which will lower your payment or convert to a chapter 7 as you would still like to get a discharge of all debt.
    The right way to do it is to file a motion for voluntary dismissal, but if you stop paying the trustee, the trustee will file a motion to dismiss your case as well.
    Law Office of Shawn N. Wright | Shawn N. Wright
    There are two ways to answer your question. First, if you have other debts that you are repaying through your existing Chapter 13 plan, then you can file an Amended Chapter 13 plan and surrender your home through the new plan. The second option is to simply file a motion to dismiss your existing Chapter 13 case. The problem there is that you are now without any bankruptcy protection, and you could wind up being sued for a deficiency judgment on the mortgage (when you still owe a balance after the sheriff's sale), or you could be assessed a 1099-C (IRS Cancellation of Debt) on your mortgage loan, again after the sheriff's sale. So, being in bankruptcy and eventually getting a discharge of debts may still of great benefit to you.
    Hoang & Tran PLLC | Adam Tran
    You should consult with your attorney so that he may file the motion to dismiss the case.
    Idaho Bankruptcy Law | Paul Ross
    You file a Motion to Dismiss. However, I would visit with your attorney about whether a conversion to a Ch 7 might be available and in your best interests. You can also just stop making payments and your Trustee will file a Motion to Dismiss for you.
    File a motion with the bankruptcy court to "voluntarily dismiss without prejudice".
    Garner Law Office
    Garner Law Office | Daniel Garner
    You always have the right to voluntarily dismiss your Chapter 13 case simply by writing to the court and telling them you want to do that. If you don't have a lawyer already, however, you should consider whether you might be better off converting to a Chapter 7 instead of dismissing the case outright. If you have any other debt, you might still want to discharge that through a Chapter 7 if you qualify. You should also consider whether you will be taxed on the mortgage debt forgiveness if you don't discharge it in bankruptcy.
    Is that your only debt? Do you have any unsecured debts? If yes, you may want to consider converting to a Chapter 7. Also, before you decide to voluntarily dismiss, you should speak with an attorney regarding the consequences of such an act. To answer your question, you can either stop making the payments and the Trustee will dismiss or you can file a motion to dismiss.
    File a Motion to Dismiss your case.
    Portland Bankruptcy Law Group
    Portland Bankruptcy Law Group | Christopher J. Kane
    All you have to do is file a simple one paragraph motion to dismiss with the Court.
    The Orantes Law Firm
    The Orantes Law Firm | Giovanni Orantes
    You need to file a request for dismissal. A debtor has the right to dismiss his or her Chapter 13 case when desired, but if you used the case to simply get more time living in the property without paying rent instead of trying to perform under a Chapter 13 plan, the Court may impose a bar to re-filing for Chapter 13 protection for 6 months or longer.
    Law Office of Peter M. Lively
    Law Office of Peter M. Lively | Peter M. Lively
    File a motion for voluntary dismissal and wait for the order to be entered.