What are the steps an attorney needs to take to intervene in a child custody case? 8 Answers as of April 30, 2014

I had my granddaughter in my care for 17 months. She lives here with her brother and step sister and myself the grandma. The judge ruled that the father of my granddaughter get temporary custody. Now I have hired a lawyer but not understanding what he needs to do to have this case reopened.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Office of Andrew Oostdyk
Law Office of Andrew Oostdyk | Andrew Oostdyk
You need an experienced family law attorney. A Motion for New Trial may be filed to have a new Temporary Orders hearing, otherwise the attorney needs to make an appearance and request a final hearing if appropriate.
Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 4/30/2014
Reza Athari & Associates, PLLC | Seth L. Reszko
If a Judge has already awarded temporary custody, usually, you will have to abide by that order until you reach an agreement or at trial. If there were issues not addressed when the Judge decided temporary custody, the attorney can file a motion with the Judge to reconsider. Usually, that should be filed within ten days from the date of that order or an attorney can try to bring in new facts that were not available prior to the Court making its decision on temporary custody. Once the attorney has all the facts and documentation for the motion, it will be filed. I would follow up with the attorney to find out what the attorney is doing and have your questions answered.
Answer Applies to: Nevada
Replied: 4/29/2014
Law Office of Linda K. Frieder
Law Office of Linda K. Frieder | Linda K. Frieder, Esq.
If you have a lawyer, you should talk to your lawyer. If you are not happy, find a new lawyer.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 4/29/2014
J. Barbour Rixey, P.C.
J. Barbour Rixey, P.C. | J. Barbour Rixey
Your attorney should understand what he needs to do to reopen the case. It is not up to you to tell him how to do his job.
Answer Applies to: Virginia
Replied: 4/29/2014
Law Offices of Arlene D. Kock
Law Offices of Arlene D. Kock | Arlene D. Kock
You should immediately meet and confer with your attorney to explore the appropriate procedural steps you need to take to return to court.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 4/29/2014
    Peters Law, PLLC
    Peters Law, PLLC | Mark T. Peters, Sr.
    The attorney should know what to do. That is why you hired him. However, he should also tell you what the likelihood of your winning might be. If dad can provide a stable, safe home environment for your granddaughter, he has the first right and obligation to do so.
    Answer Applies to: Idaho
    Replied: 4/29/2014
    John Russo | John Russo
    Who does not understand, you, or the attorney? If it is the attorney you have a major problem, you should have retained a family law attorney, if you are alluding to yourself then have you'r counsel explain the steps to you again.
    Answer Applies to: Rhode Island
    Replied: 4/29/2014
    Smith Law | Sharon K Smith
    Depending on the time frame you can file an appeal or file for a modification
    Answer Applies to: Pennsylvania
    Replied: 4/29/2014
Click to View More Answers: