What are some of the common ways that internet users infringe on copyrights? 6 Answers as of April 20, 2015

How do I make sure that I don’t infringe on any copyrights when I use the internet?

It's almost impossible to avoid infringing copyrights when using the internet. For example, my response to you is covered by copyright but I send it out with the understanding that it is probably going to be copied without my permission. And that's fine with me. My agreement with the organization that provides this service to you includes my permission for them to post my answer publicly. However, most things on the internet are not posted with the author's or creator's permission Some entities, such as the media and educational institutions, are allow "fair use" rights to use copyrighted works without permission under certain circumstances. The rest of us have to be careful to not violate those rights. If I'm not sure about something, I contact the service provider or the person posting the material to check the rights before copying or forwarding it. I also try to give credit to the copyright owner whenever possible.
Barton Barton & Plotkin | Maurice Ross
You must use only original content. You cannot use a photograph or article merely because you find it on the Internet.
Microtechnology Law & Analysis | Daniel Flamm
If you don't copy anything, in principle you would not infringe. The tricky part is to be able to prove you have not copied, which makes a thorough answer more lengthy and complicated. You cannot copy something you have never seen or read.
Webb IP Law Group
Webb IP Law Group | Jason P Webb
Sometimes people will take images from the internet and use them without permission, thinking that since there was not a copyright notice then the image is free. That is not true. Sometimes people will copy paragraph(s) of content or a layout from competitors websites and that is usually a problem. Sometimes people will allow others to post things and if they don't have a DMCA notice system set up they will be liable for infringement by random people posting on their website. Sometimes people will use web design templates without getting proper permission from the coder/designer who made it. Sometimes people will post photos from professional photographers that they paid to take photos but did not get written permission to do so. These seem to be the most common from my experience.
Law Office of Kirk Buhler
Law Office of Kirk Buhler | Kirk A Buhler
By copying pictures or text.
    Banner & Witcoff, Ltd. | Ernie Linek
    Copying the work of another person and posting it on the Internet is usually how infringement occurs. To avoid copyright claims of another person - be creative - make your content all by yourself - or use materials that are in the public domain. Search for public domain information on the Internet - it will be old - but could be very useful to you. If you want to use the work of a known author - as for permission. If granted - you will be okay. Otherwise - create your own work. Good Luck.