What are the second offense DUI consequences? 51 Answers as of February 24, 2012

I was charged with dui and the officer told me that someone saw me swerving. I only had 2 drinks (honestly), but I'm a total lightweight so I failed the field test. My first dui was 5 years ago… What am I looking at? Can I get a statement from the bartender saying I only had 2 drinks?

Since it is within 10 years that you had 2 DUi's they can enhance any sentence you get for the second one. I would need more details. You should hire an attorney.
Lowenstein Law Office
Lowenstein Law Office | Anthony Lowenstein
Pretty severe in California. 1 year license suspension at DMV. Up to 1 year in jail in Court. For more information, please see my website or call me for a legal consultation.
Law Offices of Michael Stephenson
Law Offices of Michael Stephenson | Michael Stephenson
Penalties in CA for a 2nd DUI include: 3 to 5 years of probation, fines of up to $2800 or even more, 2 year suspension of drivers license, 18 months of DUI school, mandatory jail time of as much as 30 days (depending on the county and availability of work release). It's possible a statement from the bartender could help in your defense. However, you should consult an attorney in more detail to determine what your best strategy will be. Go ahead and get the statement from the bartender asap though, because his memory may fade.
Second DUI charges are a Class A Misdemeanor, with minimum 5 days to max 12 months, and min $1,000 fine to max $2,500.
You don't mention your alcohol level which would let me know more than your claims of only having had two drinks. A second offense is very serious and will result in a loss of your driving privilege for at least a year not to mention the jail sentence which can be from 10 to 60 days with some judges. Get a lawyer.
    You will probably be convicted of DWI and placed on probation unless it is a felony or there was an injury accident. In that case you may face a jail term. As long as you were over .08 or were driving poorly the judge will probably convict you of at least 1192-1, the violation. You will have to go to some type of drug court or treatment on a second offense depending on the city you are in.
    A statement will be meaningless, unless he will testify to the two drinks only. Why worry about consequences unless you're convicted. I suggest you fight the charge with a good attorney. Who knows you might win it since it sounds like you're innocent. Good luck.
    Vermeulen Law office P.A.
    Vermeulen Law office P.A. | Cynthia J.Vermeulen
    The consequences for a 2nd DUI varies, depending on which state you live in. In Minnesota, the 2nd DUI or DWI within a 10 year period is a gross misdemeanor charge, punishable by up to 1 year in jail and/or a $3,000 fine. There are also longer driver's license revocation periods and other potential consequences, depending upon whether aggravating circumstances exist. Other states have different laws with different consequences. You should consult and hire an attorney immediately to get the best and timely advice about what to do. Your attorney can advise you about whether to contact witnesses and who should do so.
    The penalties for a second offense DUI is a fine of not less than $2,100 nor more than $4,100 along with incarceration in the metro jail for a period of not more than one year. The incarceration must include not less than five days to serve or in lieu of incarceration, 30 days of community service. Normally on a second DUI your driver's license is suspended for a period of one year. There may be other conditions of probation, if granted, such as attending the DUI school and the victim's impact panel, as well as an alcohol or drug evaluation and treatment as directed by court referral. No, do not get your bartender to testify at your trial.
    The Sarbaugh Law Firm
    The Sarbaugh Law Firm | Bruce W. Sarbaugh
    A second DUI within five years is a serious offense and carries mandatory jail time as well as the loss of your driver's license for one year. Whether you only had 2 drinks or not, the issue will be whether you were impaired to drive. The number of drinks can be relevant to your defense, but you need to speak with a DUI attorney promptly to review your case.
    Nichols Law Firm
    Nichols Law Firm | Michael J. Nichols
    The consequences depend on the jurisdiction in which you were arrested.
    Law Office of Jonathan T. Sarre
    Law Office of Jonathan T. Sarre | Jonathan T. Sarre
    I practice in Oregon where the consequences for a second DUII include at least 2 days in jail (but more likely 15-30 days depending on the county), a minimum fine of $1500.00, probation, alcohol treatment and a three year driver's license suspension (if your last DUII conviction was within the past five years). You could get a statement from the bartender saying that you only had two drinks but if you are really a "lightweight," then that may not be very helpful. I don't know if you took a breath test and if you did what the result was but in Oregon you can be convicted if the state shows that you are impaired by the drinks you had. So even if you had two drinks, if you're a lightweight that could be impairment.
    LynchLaw
    LynchLaw | Michael Thomas Lynch
    The maximum sentence for a second DUI is one year in jail. The standard lately seems to be 10 days in jail. However don't forget the fines and fees. It has been said the average DUI in CA will cost the defendant over $12K after paying for defense, fines, fees, DUI class, and increased insurance premiums. As far as any statement from the bartender, don't make things harder on your attorney.
    Sharifi & Baron
    Sharifi & Baron | S. Yossof Sharifi
    You're facing up to six months in jail (technically), but the minimum mandatory is 10 days of jail and that's usually what they ask for unless there are aggravating circumstances. You're also (at least for a Utah DUI) facing stiff fines, a two year suspension of your license, year long treatment and supervised probation with an ignition interlock requirement. Hire a good DUI attorney.
    Law Office of Andrew Subin
    Law Office of Andrew Subin | Andrew Subin
    In Washington,you would have mandatory 30 days in jail, plus licensing consequences.
    Eric M. Mark, Attorney at Law
    Eric M. Mark, Attorney at Law | Eric Mark
    Second offenses carry very serious consequences including license suspensions and fines. Occasionally, jail time is involved. The exact consequences vary by state. You need to contact a local DWI defense attorney.
    Because in Georgia, where we practice criminal law, you would face potential jail time, fine, increased insurance costs, etc., I would urge you to retain a criminal lawyer to help you. Also, discuss with your criminal lawyer whether the bartender could help, but it seems a tough sale, in my opinion. Good luck!
    How much you had to drink is not relevant in this case, the question is whether or not you consumed alcohol (yes) and that alcohol impaired your ability to drive (maybe - you said you failed the FST, but were they done correctly) and you operated a motor vehicle while impaired (you did not say, but your question implies Yes). A DWI second is a Class A Misdemeanor. Maximum punishment is $4000 fine and 365 days in jail. You will also pay surcharges for your license and higher insurance premiums.
    Anderson & Carnahan
    Anderson & Carnahan | Stephen Anderson
    In Colorado you are facing mandatory jail. You should talk to an attorney to discuss your options. I would glad to assist.
    I will attempt to answer all your questions. Your looking at 10 to 30 days in jail and a fine/court cost and likely at least a year probation. Statement from bartender may help.
    Bloom Legal, LLC
    Bloom Legal, LLC | Seth J. Bloom
    If you were arrested merely for failing the field sobriety test and were not administered a chemical breathalyzer test then you may have preserved some options to defend yourself against a DWI conviction. You should consult with a local attorney and provide them with any information you were provided with after your release and also explain the specific details leading up to your arrest. If you are seeking legal representation in this matter in Louisiana, we invite you to contact our firm at the information on this page for a free case evaluation.
    Law Office of Thomas F. Mueller
    Law Office of Thomas F. Mueller | Thomas Mueller
    Did you take a blood or breath test? if so the results of that are more important than the testimony of a bartender. If you are convicted you are looking at a fine, an 18 month counseling program and the possibility of jail time of 10 days or so. Also the DMV will want to suspend your license 1 year. It's time to consult with a good lawyer.
    Cornish, Crowley, Rockafellow, & Sartz, PLLC
    Cornish, Crowley, Rockafellow, & Sartz, PLLC | Jacob Peter Sartz IV
    You are presumed innocent until proven guilty. The prosecutor would need to prove any charges against you beyond a reasonable doubt. If you are charged and arraigned, the court will advise you of your maximum possibility penalties. Further, you should receive written paperwork listing your charges and the applicable possible penalties. Penalties and charges vary significantly from state to state and generally, OUI's, OWI's DUI's etc., are prosecuted pursuant to state or local law. I would recommend consulting with an attorney in your particular state, preferably, an experienced criminal-defense attorney who routinely represents people in front of your presiding judge. Most attorneys provide free initial consultations. If you cannot afford to retain an attorney, there may be a court-appointed attorney available at the public's expense depending upon availability. Effective advocacy may have a big impact in the outcome of your case, so it is certainly worth the effort to make a few phone calls.
    Law Office of Michael Bialys THE DUI MAN
    Law Office of Michael Bialys THE DUI MAN | Michael Bialys
    The usual minimums s on a second DUI are 5 years probation 96 hours of jail time and fines along with an 18 month alcohol education class.Given that I would strongly suggest getting representation for your situation.
    Vermeulen Law office P.A.
    Vermeulen Law office P.A. | Jacob T. Erickson
    The bartender's statement, if they even remember you, probably won't be of much use. The penalties for s second DWI/DUI offense within 10 years in Minnesota, assuming that your blood alcohol concentration is under 0.20 and there was not a child under the age of 16 in the car, are as follows: - You can be sentenced to up to 365 days in jail. By statute you must be sentenced to at least 30 days in jail. However, a significant portion of that 30 days can be done on electronic home monitoring (house arrest). - You can be fined up to $3,000.00. Fine vary by area. The fine is supposed to be no less than $900.00, but several counties impose lower fines. - You will have to do a chemical use assessment and follow it recommendations. - You will have a court surcharge, law library fee, probationary fee and probably a chemical use assessment fee to pay. - You will probably be forbidden from drinking while you are on probation. - You can be required to be on probation for up to 6 years. - You may have to attend a Mothers Against Drunk Driving Victim Impact Panel. - You may have other conditions that the judge requires.
    Whether you are charged with OWI has to do with your blood alcohol content not how many drinks you had. A second OWI within 7 years could result in jail time, however, if the court has a drug treatment court, participation in the drug treatment court may help you out. A second OWI will also result is a suspension of your driver's license by the secretary of state.
    Gonzalez Law Associates P.C.
    Gonzalez Law Associates P.C. | Carlos Gonzalez
    The number of drinks isn't particularly helpful, it's the blood alcohol content that will decide what happens... I would suggest making sure you have a good defense attorney and keep in good communication with that attorney, generally the case and the outcome of the case will be greatly controlled by the BAC at the time of the incident.
    Consequences for a Second Offense DUI includes up to 1 year in jail, a fine between $390 to $1,000 plus penalty assessments, up to 5 years probation, and an 18 month alcohol program. The Court also has the power to impound your car, require an IID (Ignition Interlock Device), and take other additional action. There may be some issues with having the bartender testify at your trial. Even if he says you had 2 drinks, the prosecutor may be able to raise the inference that you may have had drinks outside of the bartenders view (ie. after you left the bar, or before you got there). You can look at 1duilawyer.com to see more info on DUI's. You should speak to an attorney in more detail about your case, and then decide whether or not it would be helpful to have the bartender testify.
    A second offense within ten years is charged in Minnesota, at a minimum, as a third degree DWI offense. This is very serious and carries with it maximum criminal penalties of one year in jail and a $3000 fine. If convicted there are also mandatory minimum penalties of $1000 and 30 days in jail. Different Judges give different sentences. As a result, understanding your Judge and knowing how to change Judge's can be an important part of the process. There is also a civil case that results in the revocation of your driver's license. On a third degree offense, you may be revoked for up to six months. This is a separate case even though the challenges are largely the same. In order to challenge you license revocation, you must seek a judicial review by filing a petition within 30 days of the offense.There are also additional consequences to a conviction including skyrocketing insurance rates, plate impoundments and sometimes vehicle forfeitures. There are many challenges to a DWI. Officers must follow very specific steps as part of the arrest. If any one step is missing, the case may be dismissed. Certainly witnesses who can verify limited alcohol consumption may b e called to testify at trial. Their statements prior to trial, however, generally offer little help. You would be wise to hire experienced legal counsel.
    Howard W. Collins, Attorney at Law
    Howard W. Collins, Attorney at Law | Howard W. Collins
    Assume Oregon law applies: Two drinks is not a defense. You may have blown less than a .08, but if the alcohol affected you to a perceptible degree, as failed FST seem to suggest, you are in trouble. If this is your second conviction; not just a first conviction following a diversion; you may get from 10 - 30 days in jail, mandatory fine, license suspension plus alcohol assessment and treatment, all at your expense. You might not want to ever drive again even if you have only had a single drink. Get a lawyer.
    In Michigan, a second offense can be charged if your second offense is within 7 years of a prior offense. The impact is an increase in the potential jail penalty from 93 days for a first offense to 1 year for a second offense. Also, your driver's license is taken away for 1 year with no possibility of a restricted license. At the end of the year you can petition the Secretary of State for return of your license, but there is nothing automatic about it. You need to satisfy certain requirements for consideration of a license. I hope that this was helpfu.
    LT Pepper Law
    LT Pepper Law | Luke T. Pepper
    The question is not the number of drinks but what your blood alcohol was at the time of the stop and eventual arrest. If you failed a field test but your blood alcohol level did not meet the standard you can still be charged. You have a better case but still a long shot.
    A second conviction carries a mandatory 48 hour sentence or 30 days community service, but you need to review your facts with counsel. Did the officer himself see you swerve? If no, he may not have had reasonable suspicion to initiate the stop. That is especially true if he observed you, and you were not driving in an erratic manner. You need to get a lawyer to help. You don't mention your BAC. That may come into play. You could subpoena the bartender. It only takes one juror to hang a jury because a unanimous verdict is required for conviction. Stay well.
    In San Diego, a second DUI carries 96 hours custody plus a fine of $2K and the multiple conviction class (18 months.) Your license will be suspended with no restricted license. The number of drinks is irrelevant - all that matters is your BA level. There are many possible defenses, however. You need a good DUI attorney - a second DUI will very seriously impact your life.
    The Law Offices of Greg Gray
    The Law Offices of Greg Gray | Greg Gray
    In Texas a second DWI is a Class A Misdemeanor. The range of punishment is up to 365 days in jail and an optional fine not to exceed $4000.00 dollars. If you receive probation, there is a minimum requirement of 72 hours in jail. An affidavit from the bartender would help, but his or her testimony would be required at trial. Get the affidavit soon or they may forget you or how many you had.
    In Michigan a second drinking and driving offense carries up to a year in jail, possible revocation of your license, increased fines, etc. You need an attorney. Also two drinks is not always "two drinks" a long island ice tea is the equivalent of about 4 or 5 drinks easily.
    It doesn't matter how many "drinks" you had, it matters how those drinks affected your driving or what your BAC was. Please contact me at my website to discuss your matter.
    The Law Office of Randall S. Woodard
    The Law Office of Randall S. Woodard | Randall Scott Woodard
    The consequences depend upon the outcome of the first DUI and whether you were convicted. A second DUI conviction carries mandatory jail or public service work, seldom is the public service work offered. The first DUI may also affect the length of the Statutory Summary Suspension if it was within five years of the second arrest. A lawyer would have to review the facts of your case to give you an opinion on the likelihood of its outcome. I hope this helps. Good luck, I was a prosecutor for 19 years so I appreciate the difference a good lawyer can make. Please do not hesitate to call me if I can be of any assistance.
    Jonathan S. Willett Attorney at Law
    Jonathan S. Willett Attorney at Law | Jonathan S. Willett
    Hello- The minimum on a second is ten days in jail with two years probation. Most people do not do well on the field sobriety tests. The government is used to accused persons say they only had two. How you fare in court will depend in part on your blood/alcohol content. DUIs are all a function of your systems ability to process alcohol. So, if you're small, did not eat or drink, your alcohol level is higher. I hope this answers your question if not, let me know.
    Frances R. Johnson
    Frances R. Johnson | Frances R. Johnson
    In Colorado and very generally, mandatory 10 days to 1 year in jail, $600 - $1500 fine, 48 - 120 hours of useful public service, and 2 years of probation. Depending upon the exact date of the first conviction, there may be some alternatives as to the mandatory 10 days. Also, you said DUI, but certain other prior offenses that you may have in addition to the first DUI can result in more serious penalties. Consult an experienced DUI attorney for specific options tailored to your situation.
    Law Offices of Matthew Murillo
    Law Offices of Matthew Murillo | Matthew Murillo
    Statement from bartender won't do much good unless they're an expert on BAC also. What matters is your BAC, not how many drinks you had. Consult with a couple of attorneys in your area as they would best know the DA and court, so they would be able to tell you what possible consequences your looking at.
    Enhanced penalties, including jail and fines. Of course you can fight it. When arrested or charged with any crime, the proper questions are, can any evidence obtained in a search or confession be used against you, and can you be convicted, and what can you do? Raise all possible defenses with whatever admissible and credible witnesses, evidence and facts are available for legal arguments, for evidence suppression or other motions, or at trial. While this isn't a 'capital case', you certainly face potential jail and fines, so handle it right. Effective plea-bargaining, using those defenses, could possibly keep you out of jail, or at least dramatically reduce it. Go to trial if it can't be resolved with motions or a plea bargain. Not exactly a do it yourself project in court for someone who does not know how to effectively represent himself against a professional prosecutor intending to convict and jail you. If you don't know how to do these things effectively, then hire an attorney that does, who will try to get a dismissal, diversion, reduction or other decent outcome through plea bargain, or take it to trial if appropriate. If serious about hiring counsel to help you in this, and if this is in SoCal courts, feel free to contact me. I'll be happy to help use whatever defenses there may be. Keep in mind a little free advice: When you are arrested for DUI, whether alcohol or drugs, then upon release from jail or booking you were given documents that included a notice that you have only ten days to file a request with DMV for a hearing on an appeal of an automatic one-year suspension of your license imposed by DMV. That is separate and runs consecutively with any suspension that may be imposed by the court. Contact DMV and do so, timely, then appear at your scheduled DMV hearing and present any supporting evidence and testimony. If you don't know how to do these things, then hire an attorney that does. If serious about hiring counsel to help you in this, and if this is in SoCal courts, feel free to contact me.
    Fitzpatrick, Mariano, & Santos, PC
    Fitzpatrick, Mariano, & Santos, PC | Raymond J. Savoy
    Every state has different penalties for subsequent dui offenses. In Connecticut, you can lose your license for six months and face up to six months in jail. It doesn't matter how many drinks you had, it matters what your bac level was at the time of the arrest.
    First of all, the statement from the bartender regarding how many drinks you had is irrelevant. All that matters is what your BAC was. It doesn't matter if you only had one drink or 100 drinks, it's the BAC that counts. A second offense OWI is punishable by up to one year in jail, fines up to $1,000, community service from 30-90 days, possible ignition lock during probation, and mandatory vehicle immobilization. It gets very serious. You certainly need to have an experienced DUI attorney on your side because the consequences are much heavier.
    Palumbo and Kosofsky | Michael Palumbo
    You need to retain counsel conversant in DWI laws such as our firm. A second DWI within 10 years is a felony. You are looking at lengthy jail time and being a convicted felon. Give us a call ASAP.
    Rothstein Law PLLC
    Rothstein Law PLLC | Eric Rothstein
    Depends on what the outcome of the first case was. Statement could help but not dispositive. Did you take breath test?
    Jail and a fine, plus programs.
    Law Office of Joe Dane
    Law Office of Joe Dane | Joe Dane
    The number of drinks is only one factor. What is going to matter is the blood alcohol level and whether or not they can prove that alcohol (at whatever level) caused you to be under the influence. Unfortunately, with your prior, you're looking at mandatory jail time and a long license suspension if convicted. You need the help of a good local criminal defense attorney. Find one that routinely practices in the court where your case will be heard. Don't miss the 10 day window to contest the suspension of your license if they took it from you and issued you a pink 8 1/2 x 11 paper temporary license.
    The statement from the bartender should only be one of many things that your lawyer needs to look at. A guilty plea for a second DUI would result in the following: A fine of $390 to $1000 with penalty assessment (multiplied by approximately 3-4 times), a minimum of 4 days and up to 1 year in county jail, attendance in a 18 month alcohol program, and installation of an interlocking device for up to 3 years. As a result of the court conviction, the DMV will suspend your license for 2 years, but a restricted license may be requested after 1 year of suspension. Additionally, you will receive 2 points on your driving record. Contact a DUI specialist to explore alternatives to pleading guilty.
12 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney