What are the rights of a foreigner getting a divorce in Washington? 1 Answers as of May 25, 2011

My aunt’s husband abandoned her in Vietnam after their marriage and is currently trying to file a divorce in the state of Washington where he currently lives. Can he be legally divorced without her consent and what can she do to in terms of rights and benefits when she doesn’t live in the country?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Seattle Divorce Services
Seattle Divorce Services | Michael V. Fancher
Your aunt should talk to a Washington divorce attorney for more specific information. If she has never lived in Washington, the courts may not have jurisdiction to divide property, etc. Even then the husband may still be able to get a divorce, but without any financial or property orders. On the other hand she may want to consent to jurisdiction so that she can have some financial orders entered, or she may want to push for the divorce to be done in Vietnam if that is where they lived together.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 5/25/2011
Click to View More Answers: