What are the rights of an heir in a trust? 6 Answers as of January 19, 2011

My brother was appointed as executor of our fathers trust, my father recently passed, what rights do have as an heir to review all financial and legal documents.

Christopher Legal Group
Christopher Legal Group | Shawn Christopher
You have a right to receive copies of the trust and or will. You also have rights to regular accountings, and the trustee or executor owes you certain duties.
Givner & Kaye
Givner & Kaye | Bruce Givner
First, if it is a trust, then your brother is the trustee, not the executor.

Second, your rights are defined under the trust and under the law of your state. Therefore, I do not know what your rights are.

Generally speaking a beneficiary has the right to see a copy of the trust instrument and an accounting of the trustee's actions as to the trust property. However, that general statement is virtually worthless without knowing the terms of the trust and the provisions of your state's law.
Law Office of Harry Gordon Oliver II
Law Office of Harry Gordon Oliver II | Harry Gordon Oliver II
You can see all you want.
Steven J. Fromm
Steven J. Fromm | Steven J. Fromm & Associates, P.C.
First, your brother was named the trustee of the trust. Was he named executor of the will, as these are two separate documents and two separate duties. Generally, beneficiaries have certain rights under state law to be informed as to the notice of and status of the estate administration and ultimately can demand an accounting of the fiduciaries administration of the estate and/or trust. You should retain an estates attorney to protect your interests and to review all documentation as well as keep an eye on what your brother is doing or failing to do.
LT Pepper Law
LT Pepper Law | Luke T. Pepper
You have a right to see all the documents to determine whether he is handling the estate matter correctly.
    Meyer & Yee, LLP
    Meyer & Yee, LLP | Kent W. Meyer
    He must be the successor trustee. You as a beneficiary have a right to a full trust accounting and to see the trust.