What are the requirements for US Code Title 8 Chapter 12 Subchapter III Part I 1401(g)? Posted on May 19, 2011

My question is about US Code Title 8 Chapter 12 Subchapter III Part I 1401(g) that deals with natural born citizens. I am in an argument with my uncle about this section. His argument is that the wording beginning with "Provided, that any periods" means that a girl born in the US and married to an alien at age 18 is required to be serving in the Military or employed by the US Government while her child was born outside of the US or its possessions in order for her child to be considered a natural born citizen. My argument is that this same wording does not require the citizen-parent to be in the Military or a Govt. employee but instead allows the children of people serving in the Military or employed by the US Govt. to use their time overseas to qualify as time physically present in the US which is a requirement earlier in the paragraph that must total at least 5yrs. Could you clear up this argument for us and if possible explain in layman's terms the requirements of this 1401(g) section?