What are the requirements for getting papers? 1 Answers as of December 13, 2016

Hi there, I'm going to marry my boyfriend to be a US citizen.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Frazier, Soloway & Poorak, P.C.
Frazier, Soloway & Poorak, P.C. | David Nabow Soloway
Although not clear from your question, I presume that you are a foreign national who entered the U.S. lawfully and with inspection (such as by entering with a valid visa), and that you are engaged to be married to a U.S. citizen. If that is accurate, then upon becoming married, together you and he may file a Petition for Relative Alien and an Application for Adjustment of Status, each with corresponding supporting documents, to pursue becoming a Lawful Permanent Resident (getting a "Green Card"). Approximately three years after becoming a Permanent Resident you may become eligible to apply to become a naturalized U.S. citizen. The application process often is significantly more complex than it may appear. It would be wise for you and your boyfriend to consult with an immigration attorney who, after learning all the relevant details about you, your boyfriend and your plans, would be able to advise about eligibilities, options and strategies to attain your goal, and would be able to offer legal representation for the application process.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 12/13/2016
Click to View More Answers: