What are the requirement for assets for the Affidavit of Support? 1 Answers as of May 05, 2011

I received two conflicting answers to this question. If I sponsor my wife and have to provide an affidavit of support...supposing you didn't work the whole year but had a significant amount of money as an inheritance and assets. Would you need 3 times 125% of the poverty level to sponsor a wife, or 5 times? I have received conflicting information.
By the way, I am a US Citizen, and the petitioned person was never illegally in the US.

Theresa E. Tilton, Attorney at Law
Theresa E. Tilton, Attorney at Law | Theresa E. Tilton
The law allows you to aggregate income and certain assets in order to meet the support requirement. If your income is not sufficient, you may prove assets. To sponsor a spouse or minor child, the total value of your assets must only be equal to at least three times the difference between the required income and your income.

For instance, if the required income is $10, and your income is $7, to sponsor your spouse you must prove your $7 of income plus $9 of assets: $10 -$7 = $3 difference; $3 * 3 = $9. The requirement to sponsor someone who is not your spouse or minor child is assets of five times the difference between income required and actual income. The instructions for the Affidavit of Support give a lot of detail about what assets and what income can be used to meet the support requirement.