What are the possible consequences of opening the package that doesn’t belongs to you? 1 Answers as of September 20, 2017

I am 25 years old visa holder, I foolishly picked up a package lying near a door, opened it, someone came from behind and said to put it down, I did. I ran away from there, while the person was screaming “I am calling the police”. He does not know me but could give a description. I did touch the contents of the package, it was a pair of sunglasses and it will have my prints on it. I am so scared. Checked on the police website but no incident reports are showing for the date. No previous record. If a complaint is filed will they try to match the prints? What should I do now?

R. Jason de Groot, P.A
R. Jason de Groot, P.A | R. Jason de Groot
I do not think that anything will come of this incident, as you have described it. I could be wrong, but I just do not see enough here for the establishment of much of a crime at all. It could be an attempted theft, perhaps. You will need to get a private criminal defense attorney if you are arrested, in my opinion. And if the cops try to question you about this, refuse to say anything about it. You have a right to remain silent.