What are the penalties that I may be facing for a misdemeanor for petty theft? 1 Answers as of September 10, 2017

I was very stressed out. I wasn't thinking straight. I stole from my university bookstore (I am a student). I complied with LP workers and gave my info. A police officer arrived and wrote down my info, put me under civilian arrest, and gave me a citation with a court date on it in late August. The amount I took was about $200-$250. I know possible fines can go up to $1000, and a year of jail time is possible, but highly unlikely since this is my first offense.

Petty theft is a crime of moral turpitude, and if convicted it will really hurt your school/employment aspirations. You should talk to a lawyer, who may be able to work out a deal with the Judge whereby you can earn yourself a dismissal.