What are the penalties of vc 23224? 12 Answers as of November 16, 2010

What are the penalties of an underage person for VC 23224? Do we need to find an attorney?

The Law Offices of Victor J Mazzaraco
The Law Offices of Victor J Mazzaraco | Victor J Mazzaraco
VC23224 applies to drivers under 21 yrs of age with open alcohol in their vehicle. If convicted the driver's license will be suspended for 1 year. Maximum penalties include a fine of around $1700 and/or jail time of up to 6 months.

In reality, no jail time is imposed and the defendant is usually credited with 2 days served for the period they spent in jail the night of the arrest, if confinement spanned two separate days.
Law Office of Marc K. Herbert
Law Office of Marc K. Herbert | Marc K. Herbert
VC 23224 involves a driver under 21 who has an open container of alcohol in the vehicle.

This charge is a misdemeanor, with possible sentences involving 5 year of informal probation, up to 180 days in county jail and fines about $3,000.00. Usually, the case is resolved for much better terms of probation.

However, there may also be penalties with the DMV, including a suspension or restriction of driving privileges.

As a result, you should contact a local criminal defense attorney as soon as possible.

If you have any other questions, please call my office.
Law Office of Geoffrey M. Yaryan
Law Office of Geoffrey M. Yaryan | Geoffrey M. Yaryan
It is a misdemeanor with a maximum sentence of $1000 fine or six months in jail.
Law Office of Thomas F. Mueller
Law Office of Thomas F. Mueller | Thomas Mueller
The max. for 23224 is 6 months in jail, but I am certain that if we handled the case we could avoid any jail at all. There would be a fine.

We are very experienced in these cases. If you have more questions or wish to retain counsel call us.
The main penalty is that you would lose your license for a year. Many times an attorney can assist you in getting these charges dismissed.
    The penaltie for a violation of V.C. 23224 is not more than six months in county jail or not more than $1,000 fine or both. Contact me with the facts of the case and I will tell you if an attorney can help.
    You certainly do need an attorney, because the consequences can be quite severe. Up to 6 months in county jail, and a 1 year suspension of drivers license.
    The penalty for violation of VC 23224(a) or (b) is as follows: Any person convicted for a violation of subdivision (a) or (b) is guilty of a misdemeanor and shall be punished upon conviction by a fine of not more than one thousand dollars ($1,000) or by imprisonment in the county jail for not more than six months, or by both that fine and imprisonment.

I would recommend hiring an attorney to help you out with this case. You can call me for a free consultation to discuss your case in further detail.
    The Law Offices of Christopher J. McCann
    The Law Offices of Christopher J. McCann | Christopher J. McCann
    If the offender is over 18 and under 21 at the time of the offense, it is a misdemeanor carrying up to 6 months in jail and a $1,000 fine plus penalty assessments. In some courts, a diversion program is available to get the case dismissed. In others, if no such program is offered, if the offender does not have any criminal history, you can expect an offer to plead to the misdemeanor, and be placed on 3 years of informal summary probation, receive a fine, and perhaps some community labor-type of punishment like community service or Caltrans work picking up trash. It is unlikely you would face jail time. It is very important to note that if you are convicted of this offense, the DMV will be notified and they will suspend your privilege to drive for one year. That is why it is important to get diversion or perhaps a plea to a different non-alcohol related charge.
    It carries 6 months jail, $1000 fine, and car impounded. Its your decision whether to go to court without an attorney against a professional prosecutor seeking to convict you. Counsel can generally get a reasonable plea bargain, based upon all the facts and background, or take the case to trial in the right circumstances. If serious about hiring counsel to help deal with this, feel free to contact me.
    Law Office of William R Fuhrman
    Law Office of William R Fuhrman | William R Fuhrman
    Reply to question re penalty for conviction of violating CVC 23224: 3 years probation, fine, mandatory 1 year suspension of your divers license.