What are the penalties for food stamp fraud? 6 Answers as of October 18, 2011

I lied on my application for food stamps-didn't tell them I was working and fudged my rent size. Now I got a letter from HRA for a hearing for food stamp fraud. It's not like I don't need them, every little bit helps, but I don't want to walk face first into a problem. What do I do?

The McDonnell Law Firm, PLLC
The McDonnell Law Firm, PLLC | Patrick J. McDonnell
You should contact a lawyer. You are looking at possible criminal charges.
You should hire an attorney as fraud is fairly serious when it comes to obtaining government benefits.
Law Office of Pashan Movasseghi, Esq.
Law Office of Pashan Movasseghi, Esq. | Pashan Movasseghi, Esq.
First and foremost, you should never post details or admissions of criminal activity on any internet forum. Your post is not protected by attorney client privilege, nor can you rely on information you post online staying anonymous. Having said that, welfare fraud can range from an A misdemeanor to a B felony. There is a wide range of penalties that may apply depending on the specific charge. I would contact a local attorney immediately to discuss the case in detail. I would also not want to attend any meetings or proceedings regarding the matter without an attorney.
You should retain a good criminal lawyer because you have committed a serious felony. If you are indigent and cannot borrow the funds you should get an assigned attorney. You may get a conviction, but you will probably get a sentence of probation and not a jail term.
Law Office of Richard Southard
Law Office of Richard Southard | Richard C Southard
Retain a lawyer immediately. New York City usually charges this as a class D felony depending on the amount taken illegally. That is punishable up to seven years jail. Statements that you make to HRA CAN and will likely be used against you if they prosecute. You should hire a lawyer to speak on your behalf.
    Gonzalez Law Associates P.C.
    Gonzalez Law Associates P.C. | Carlos Gonzalez
    You can be criminally liable and face prison time based on the amount fraudulently received. I'd suggest hiring an attorney right away.