What are the penalties for a first time possession of marijuana charge? 6 Answers as of April 04, 2013

I was pulled over and the police searched the vehicle and found marijuana. I’m charged with possession of marijuana. It’s my first criminal charge.

You may be able to get in a program where you end up with no criminal record. Get a lawyer. This is important.
William L. Welch, III Attorney | William L. Welch, III
Misdemeanor possession carries a year, and felony possession carries five years in Maryland. In federal court the penalties depend on the amount of marijuana involved. An attorney can assist you with evaluating the prosecution's case, any defenses that you might have, and any plea offer that might be made, so that you can decide whether to plea bargain or go to trial. If you were to be found guilty, then an attorney can assist you with presenting mitigation, allocution, and a recommendation for a more lenient sentence. and a recommendation for a more lenient sentence.
Steven Dodge | Steven Dodge
The maximum sentence is up to one year in the county jail plus fines and costs. Also, a conviction will result in a one year suspension of your driving privileges. If you have no prior record, you would be eligible for a deferral program under the Public Health Code. As to whether you would get this depends on what county your case will be. Let me know if you have other questions.
Law Office of Geoffrey M. Yaryan
Law Office of Geoffrey M. Yaryan | Geoffrey M. Yaryan
Without knowing how much marijuana was found it is impossible to tell.
Darrell B. Reynolds, P.C. | Darrell B. Reynolds
The penalty of possession would depend on how marijuana was found. If you do not have an attorney you need one.
    Hire a lawyer, who can likely get this relatively minor charge dismissed by talking to the Judge.