What are our rights concerning my mother and her nursing home? 1 Answers as of March 14, 2011

I live in Connecticut. My mother has dementia and is in a nursing home. My brother has POA. He has told the nursing home that they may not give her sister or me information about my mother. Her sister and I are the only visitors she has. Neither of my brothers has been to see her in months. I am concerned that she is being neglected by the nursing home. I think she may have had a stroke which the nursing home admits is possible but not treating, and there is a serious infection on her foot, which they did not notice. My brother let it be known that if my Aunt or I file a complaint with the state or "cause problems" ie question her care or his neglect, that he will tell the nursing home not to allow us to see my mother. Can he do this? What are my mother's rights?

Your brother's powers depend on the scope of the POA. However you can apply for an emergency temporary conservatorship in Probate Court. If you have any other questions you can contact us. Good luck.