What are my visitation and custody rights? 5 Answers as of July 12, 2011

Can someone help me? I am newly separated from my wife, I pay $140.00 per week child support and I only get to see my son for 3 hrs a week. I am looking for some help on knowing what my visitation rights are?

Wallin & Klarich: A Law Corporation
Wallin & Klarich: A Law Corporation | Paul Wallin
You need to go to court to enforce your child custody rights. So long as there are no domestic violence of drug issues, there is no reason you cannot ask the court for 50-50 legal and physical custody of your child. This 3 hours a week is ridiculous. Contact our office and we can provide you with more information.
If I understand correctly from your question that your wife is limiting your time with your son to three hours per week, you can file an Order to Show Cause requesting joint legal and physical custody and/or liberal visitation. You would best at least consult an experienced family law attorney with regard to the particulars of your situation, and if you can afford to retain one, do so. If you can't afford to retain an attorney, you can get assistance from your Superior Court's self-help clinic, to prepare the necessary documents.
Law Office of Xochitl Anita Quezada
Law Office of Xochitl Anita Quezada | Xochitl Anita Quezada
If this is per agreement, and there is no evidence of physical, drug, or alcohol abuse, then you are entitled to more time. If this is per court order, you need to see an attorney.
Koch Laron Law
Koch Laron Law | Phillip Koch
There are many unaswered questions. Has there been a court filing yet, how was this arrangement decided etc. If nothing is filed, you will need to file an OSC re: custody/support along with Petition for divorce, and you may want to make an ex-parte motion for a temporary order. I STRONGLY suggest you meet with an attorney (at least for an initial consult).
Goodman, Dicus, and Teinert, LLP
Goodman, Dicus, and Teinert, LLP | Paul M. Teinert
If your current court visitation orders state that you only have 3 hours of visitation with your child per week then your visitation rights only extend to what is outlined in the current visitation orders. However, if there has been any significant change of circumstances in your or your child's life that you feel would weigh in favor of you having more time with your child then you may be able to modify your visitation order. I would recommend contacting a family law attorney in your area to discuss your matter further.