What are my rights to speedy trial if I have a DUI? 1 Answers as of May 05, 2011

Over 2 years ago I was charged with DUI, lost license for 1yr and have had them returned for over yr. now. I have not yet been to court for conviction. Can this be dropped or reduced because of time limits?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Timothy J. Thill P.C.
Timothy J. Thill P.C. | Timothy J. Thill
Since the state brought charges against you in a timely fashion, there is nothing you can do simply because they have not brought the case to trial. However, if you have demanded a speedy trial, there is a period of 160 days in which they must proceed to trial. You do not indicate whether you have an attorney or not. If you have a lawyer, talk to him about filing a formal demand for trial. I get the impression that when the case has come up until now, you have asked for the extensions, or have agreed to them, and that is why the matter has not gone to trial. Every request for continuance should be made by the prosecutor, and not agreed to by you, after you register, in writing, you formally demand for trial.
Answer Applies to: Illinois
Replied: 5/5/2011
Click to View More Answers: