What are my rights to my child as an unwed mother, do I have sole legal and physical custody, and what are his rights, if any, in this case? 1 Answers as of October 19, 2017

My baby's father broke up with me when I was 5 months pregnant. He was not there for me when I was pregnant, and only wanted updates on how the baby was doing medically. I did not put his name on the birth certificate while in the hospital nor did he sign a declaration of paternity form. Since I have delivered my child, I have felt harassed and threatened by his requests (and sometimes demands) to see my child. So, I have allowed him to visit in my home, supervised because I am afraid to say no. (If I could, I would rather him not visit).

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Offices of Arlene D. Kock
Law Offices of Arlene D. Kock | Arlene D. Kock
Ultimately since this person is the biological father of the child, the child has a right to have a relationship with their father. This child is actually both of yours rather than just your child. If you feel that the father somehow unsafe ,then you should get proper protective orders for the courts to establish with the parenting contact should be with him and the child.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 10/19/2017
Click to View More Answers: