What are my rights regarding debt collection? Posted on July 05, 2011

I owe credit card debt of 26,000.00(a total of 3 Chase cards) I have not made a payment in 2 years. I have been receiving calls for 2 years from collectors but do not answer. I have made numerous calls to try to get on some kind of payment plan but always denied because I cannot afford the amount they want me to pay. I have had many financial hardships in the past few years and right now I have been on unemployment for 3 months. I have no savings and have a home up for short sale and am going up for auction the end of July. I received a letter from a law group stating they were investigating me and would be filing a lawsuit against me and I would be responsible to pay for attorney’s fees, court fees etc. They will garnish my wages place a lien on the property garnish funds from bank accounts. What are my rights and what are some steps I can take to resolve this without all of the above.