What are my rights in a joint ownership of a mobile home? 5 Answers as of February 04, 2015

My boyfriend and I have been together over a dozen years ago. A couple years ago we bought a mobile home and are joint owners on the deed and title. Now we are breaking up and I'm being threatened with eviction, is that possible? I'm not causing any damage to the property, there is nothing to pay on house as it's paid in full. Please, what are my rights? I don't mind if he stays if he buys me out (we only paid $10,000 for it). If he leaves I would buy him out! My daughter and I both live here and have nowhere to go and I'm scared. Thank you!

James Law Group
James Law Group | Christine James
You have equal rights if you are both on the deed. If you cannot agree on what will happen you will need to go to small claims court.
Who is threatening? Mobile home park? Boyfriend? If the latter, you and he have equal rights. He (or you) can file what is known as a partition action to force a sale (or buy-out), but eviction? I don?t think so. I would suggest that you see a real estate lawyer, but be careful not to let fees eat up your $5,000 equity. Try to work it out with the BF.
One joint owner of real property can not evict another owner of the joint property. Basically, you each own 100% of the property. The deed does not say you own the bedroom area and he owns the bathroom. If one of you is not willing to leave and be bought out by the other, then a partition action would have to be filed and the court would order the mobile home to be sold and the profits split equally [after deducting the cost of the action if either one hires an attorney, there probably would be nothing left to split]. You should check with a family law specialist in your area as to what child support payments you might be able to get. Since you were not married, you can not get alimony and there is no community property.
Irsfeld, Irsfeld & Younger LLP | Norman H. Green
You are an equal owner with him. If he tries to kick you out, call the police.
Suggest you obtain the services of a family law lawyer to obtain a restraining order to prevent the boyfriend from physically locking you out of the premises, and maybe working out an agreement to divide the property interests. You have as much right to remain in the premises as he does.