What are my rights if my common law wife left and took our 8 month old baby to another state but I don't know where she is? 2 Answers as of March 21, 2017

All she left was a note that says that she moved and is never coming back. There was no abuse or even a bad relationship. She just left.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Reeves Law Firm, P.C.
Reeves Law Firm, P.C. | Roy L. Reeves
You have all the rights of a father. Nothing has changed regarding your "rights". The question is "What do you want?" Do you want a relationship with the child? Are you concerned that she may come back and hit you for support sooner or later? Keep in mind, you have to file something here BEFORE she is gone for six months or the jurisdiction will belong wherever she lives. So, if your goal is to get custody, control, a relationship, or to protect your financial future, you just file here ASAP and invest in a private investigator to find her.
Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 3/21/2017
Law Offices of Arlene D. Kock
Law Offices of Arlene D. Kock | Arlene D. Kock
You should immediately file a police report and tell them that your ex left and would not provide information when she took the child. This could be considered child concealment and kidnapping. Please meet with an experienced family law attorney to consider petitioning to have sole legal and physical custody of the child and to have a child returned to your care.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 3/21/2017
Click to View More Answers: