What are my rights if an insurance company neglected me? 2 Answers as of January 12, 2017

What are my rights if I was in a car accident but the car I was wasn't insured just yet? It’s not my car and I wasn't the one driving. I was rear ended by a semi-truck. I was enter into a state claim pool and I sued the insurance company that was supposed to cover me because they wouldn't for two years.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Klisz Law Office, PLLC
Klisz Law Office, PLLC | Timothy J. Klisz
You need a personal injury attorney on board asap because there are hard deadlines to sue under these circumstances.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 1/12/2017
Law Offices of Ronald A. Steinberg & Associates | Ronald A. Steinberg, BA, MA, JD
Under Michigan law, you have actually two (2) separate claims. One claim, for "economic losses," is against any auto insurance that you have, or if you do not have an insured auto you go against the insurance of a resident relative. If you do not live with an insured relative, you claim against the insurance of the car you were in; and if that vehicle is not insured, against the truck that hit you. The claim for "economic losses" is to get your lost wages, household replacement services, medical mileage, for up to 3 years. Your expenses for accident-related medical bills is good for life, at the present. Your claim for "non-economic losses," which are 1) pain and suffering, 2) impairment of your activities of daily living, 3) embarrassment, 4) frustration, etc. You make that claim by suing the truck driver AND the truck owner, and possibly the company for which the driver was working at the time. Do not try to do this yourself, because you will screw it up. Get a competent lawyer.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 1/9/2017
Click to View More Answers: