What are my rights concerning financial support in a divorce case? 3 Answers as of July 19, 2011

My fiancé and I recently split up after a 10 yr relationship. I have 2 children from previous marriage that consider him their Dad, their biological father has never been involved in their lives. I havent worked for the last 6 years because he wanted me to be home with kids. Well about 1 year ago I had to have back surgery and now can not lift over 15 lbs which has made it very hard for me to find a job since we split up. Is it possible for me to take him to court and get some financial support from him? Due to the circumstances of our situation?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Meriwether & Tharp LLC
Meriwether & Tharp LLC | Patrick Meriwether
I am sorry to hear about your situation. Unfortunately, Georgia does not recognize common law marriage. If you were not married, you cannot seek support from him in a divorce.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 7/19/2011
Ashman Law Office
Ashman Law Office | Glen Edward Ashman
If you're in Georgia and chose to live with him without marriage, you cannot seek anything at all. If you had chosen marriage, you would have had a strong claim for support and a division of property. Living with someone without marriage almost always ends up being a financial disaster.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 7/19/2011
Law Office Of Jody A. Miller
Law Office Of Jody A. Miller | Jody A. Miller
I am not sure of your facts because you call the other person your "fiancee", yet you state that the situation is a divorce case. If your significant other, whether you are married or not, has not adopted the children, then you cannot seek child support from him.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 7/18/2011
Click to View More Answers: