What are my rights as a tenant on a verbal rental agreement? 3 Answers as of June 01, 2017

I entered into a verbal lease agreement on a single-family home as the homeowner lived and worked in another state. This was mutually beneficial. I have been adamant about getting a lease in writing only to be put off. Soon his circumstances changed, he lost his job, went to jail, and then returned to another state. He has been basically squatting in the basement of the home and has since started remodeling but hasn't finished anything so now the house is in disrepair.

Rockhill Pinnick LLP | Jay Rigdon
My understanding is that you are the tenant, and the homeowner is letting the house deteriorate. Your "rights" is to stop paying rent and leave.
It does not matter if the lease is oral or in writing. If you have leased the entire house, the owner has no right to be in it.
A verbal lease is valid but if you disagree on terms then it becomes a "he said she said" situation. If you can't get the lease in writing I suggest you give 30 days notice and vacate.