What are my rights as a tenant if the landlord is not renewing my lease to renovate my townhouse? 5 Answers as of February 20, 2014

My landlord is not renewing my lease because she's decided to renovate my townhouse. She is asking to come do the final inspection 12 days before I am due to be moved. Do I have to allow it? This landlord took over a year into my lease from another rental company and has refused to do needed repairs (termites ate my door frame) so my home hasn't been safe for months. Can I counter sue her for this?

There is nothing to do, except move.
The Krone Law Firm, LLC | Norman B. Krone
If the Lease is terminated due to coming to the end of the Term, there is no way that the Landlord can be compelled to renew it.
Stuart P Gelberg
Stuart P Gelberg | Stuart P Gelberg
You have no right to a renewal. You can sue but what are your damages?
The termite issue probably doesn't rise to the level of a habitability issue and even so, raising it now when she is simply ending the lease at the end of its term will not likely succeed. It is her property.
She does not have to rent the property to you, so you have to leave. Look at your lease for final inspection - normally, it only occurs after you have moved out. If you still have stuff there, how can she inspect. On the other hand, since she is going to do a renovation anyway, perhaps you can get her to waive the inspection and give you your deposit back. As for suing her, you can, but since you didn't do it when the issue arose, it does not seem to have interfered with your quiet enjoyment of the property. I don't think you will get very far. Of course, you should still talk to a local real estate attorney to see if your state has a different approach or there are facts which would help you maintain a case.