What are my Parental rights regarding name change and custody of my children? 1 Answers as of July 06, 2011

If a parent has full custody, can she change the children’s' last names to her own without consent or knowledge of the children’s' father? And is it possible to gain joint custody of the children, child support is being paid on a monthly basis.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
John E. Kirchner, Attorney at Law
John E. Kirchner, Attorney at Law | John Kirchner
Changing the children's names requires judicial approval by the court that established the initial parenting plan that allocates parental decision-making authority. Judge's rarely grant approval of name changes over the other parent's objection. Colorado does not recognize a concept of "full custody" or "joint custody". If there has been a change of circumstances that suggests the best interests of the children would be served by a modification of the current parenting plan, modification can be accomplished by the court if the parties themselves cannot agree to a modification.
Answer Applies to: Colorado
Replied: 7/6/2011
Click to View More Answers: