What are my options on an old credit card debt? 9 Answers as of April 22, 2014

I have owed some credit cards since 2009 in that same year I went in the hospital and was in and out for the next 3 years. We went through a debt consolidation company, and could not make the payments they were asking so after a 2 year period they kicked me out of there program. Since then my wife and I have been trying to pay some off as they call at this point we are trying to pay 5 of them off. Now my wife went on workman's compensation in 2012 and was released this February 2014. Now she has been told by her doctor she may have to have back surgery so she is still without a job. Her job let her go in 2013 and there is 1 income for a family of 4 at this point. We are paying on 5 credit cards but there is still one that thinks we should pay on it making it a total of 6. They stated that it was written off in 2011 by I told them I could not take on another payment with the uncertainty of not knowing if and when my wife will be able to return to work. We have two kids one 17 and one 16. What are my options at this point?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Stephens Gourley & Bywater | David A. Stephens
Bankruptcy or hope that they do not sue you.
Answer Applies to: Nevada
Replied: 4/22/2014
This might be an appropriate time to consider bankruptcy. You should contact an attorney specializing in bankruptcy to review your situation in detail - such as your assets and their exempt status.
Answer Applies to: Ohio
Replied: 4/21/2014
James T. Weiner & Associates, P.C.
James T. Weiner & Associates, P.C. | James T. Weiner
Call a bankruptcy attorney.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 4/18/2014
The Law Office of Darren Aronow, PC
The Law Office of Darren Aronow, PC | Darren Aronow
You should consider filing bankruptcy to get rid of the debt instead of paying it.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 4/18/2014
SmithMarco, P.C.
SmithMarco, P.C. | Larry P. Smith
Far easier to do this over the phone so I can discuss more about these options. But in short, bankruptcy is an option. Also, you can still work out these debts. You can expect a lot of harassment from collectors and perhaps some lawsuits. However, if you are savvy (or have a good lawyer) you can avoid judgments and work your way into payment arrangements that are affordable.
Answer Applies to: Illinois
Replied: 4/18/2014
    Edelman, Combs, Latturner & Goodwin, LLC | Daniel A. Edelman
    I would suggest consulting a bankruptcy attorney, if eliminating the credit card debt would enable you to get on with your lives.
    Answer Applies to: Illinois
    Replied: 4/18/2014
    Timothy Casey Theisen, P.A. | Tim Theisen
    It sounds like bankruptcy may be in your future.
    Answer Applies to: Minnesota
    Replied: 4/18/2014
    Law Office of Andrew Oostdyk
    Law Office of Andrew Oostdyk | Andrew Oostdyk
    A bankruptcy may help you. I suggest contacting a local bankruptcy attorney, many offer a free consultation, they can better analyze your situation and determine if you qualify for a chapter 7 bankruptcy or if an alternative is in your best interests.
    Answer Applies to: Texas
    Replied: 4/18/2014
    Patrick W. Currin, Attorney at Law | Patrick Currin
    The payments you have made have tolled the statute of limitations so the debts are still considered current. Have you thought about a BK?
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 4/18/2014
Click to View More Answers: