What are my options on an old credit card debt? 9 Answers as of April 22, 2014

I have owed some credit cards since 2009 in that same year I went in the hospital and was in and out for the next 3 years. We went through a debt consolidation company, and could not make the payments they were asking so after a 2 year period they kicked me out of there program. Since then my wife and I have been trying to pay some off as they call at this point we are trying to pay 5 of them off. Now my wife went on workman's compensation in 2012 and was released this February 2014. Now she has been told by her doctor she may have to have back surgery so she is still without a job. Her job let her go in 2013 and there is 1 income for a family of 4 at this point. We are paying on 5 credit cards but there is still one that thinks we should pay on it making it a total of 6. They stated that it was written off in 2011 by I told them I could not take on another payment with the uncertainty of not knowing if and when my wife will be able to return to work. We have two kids one 17 and one 16. What are my options at this point?

Bankruptcy or hope that they do not sue you.
HARVEY S. MORRISON, ATTONEY AT LAW
HARVEY S. MORRISON, ATTONEY AT LAW | HARVEY S. MORRISON
This might be an appropriate time to consider bankruptcy. You should contact an attorney specializing in bankruptcy to review your situation in detail - such as your assets and their exempt status.
James T. Weiner & Associates, P.C.
James T. Weiner & Associates, P.C. | James T. Weiner
Call a bankruptcy attorney.
You should consider filing bankruptcy to get rid of the debt instead of paying it.
SmithMarco, P.C.
SmithMarco, P.C. | Larry P. Smith
Far easier to do this over the phone so I can discuss more about these options. But in short, bankruptcy is an option. Also, you can still work out these debts. You can expect a lot of harassment from collectors and perhaps some lawsuits. However, if you are savvy (or have a good lawyer) you can avoid judgments and work your way into payment arrangements that are affordable.
    Edelman, Combs, Latturner & Goodwin, LLC | Daniel A. Edelman
    I would suggest consulting a bankruptcy attorney, if eliminating the credit card debt would enable you to get on with your lives.
    Timothy Casey Theisen, P.A. | Tim Theisen
    It sounds like bankruptcy may be in your future.
    Law Office of Andrew Oostdyk
    Law Office of Andrew Oostdyk | Andrew Oostdyk
    A bankruptcy may help you. I suggest contacting a local bankruptcy attorney, many offer a free consultation, they can better analyze your situation and determine if you qualify for a chapter 7 bankruptcy or if an alternative is in your best interests.
    The payments you have made have tolled the statute of limitations so the debts are still considered current. Have you thought about a BK?