What are my options if noncustodial parent lives overseas and will not help renew child's US passport? 1 Answers as of May 01, 2015

Father (US citizen) lives abroad. Child's US passport has expired and dad (non-custodial parent) will not sign the affidavit for a renewal unless I take him off child support and credit his arrears of $25000. My child was born abroad in my home country. Child has dual citizenship. We never married and I had default sole custody- I have the translated documents showing that. Child has always lived with me, contact with father is sporadic (father’s choice). I am the sole provider. We have no address on the father and child. Child only communicates with dad over Skype. I can't serve him with papers to establish full sole legal custody to renew passport. I have no idea where he lives and the court clerk won't acknowledge my notarized docs from overseas because it says sole custody and not sole legal custody.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
David A. Browde, P.C.
David A. Browde, P.C. | David Browde
Why can't you draft a properly worded petition, file it and have it served, by publication if necessary.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 5/1/2015
Click to View More Answers: