What are my options if my paycheck is being garnished? 7 Answers as of March 07, 2014

My paycheck is being garnished and I believe they are taking more than what the law states. I don't even get half of what my paycheck is every two weeks.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Stephens Gourley & Bywater | David A. Stephens
If they are not taking the correct amount you file an objection with the court that issued the writ. Otherwise you can try to settle with them or file bankruptcy.
Answer Applies to: Nevada
Replied: 3/7/2014
Meister & McCracken Law Firm, PLLC | Joanne M. McCracken
Have you considered filing for bankruptcy protection? A bankruptcy will stop the garnishment and possibly recover most of the money taken from you. Consult a qualified bankruptcy attorney for assistance.
Answer Applies to: Arkansas
Replied: 3/7/2014
The Law Office of Darren Aronow, PC
The Law Office of Darren Aronow, PC | Darren Aronow
They are entitled to garnish 10% of your gross income unless they are student loan garnishment.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 3/7/2014
Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC
Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC | John F Brennan
There are more details necessary in order to form a reasoned opinion.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 3/6/2014
Coulter's Law
Coulter's Law | Coulter K. Richardson
You will have to file an application with the court to challenge the amount of garnishment. Most states have laws that only allow a certain percentage of your paycheck to be garnished.
Answer Applies to: New Jersey
Replied: 3/6/2014
Click to View More Answers: