What are my options if my fiance visa application was denied? 7 Answers as of October 25, 2013

I visited my fiance in the Philippines in October 2010. I retained an immigration lawyer in 2012 and paid to do a k1 fiance visa. I was contacted by the homeland security and they said that they needed proof of the two year meeting. Is the meeting from the time I went over to meet her and the consulate received a packet or from the time that you retained a lawyer and sent in the packet and it was received by the consulate? Also, I wanted to ask how come the homeland security can make an important decision and not the consulate? I was never informed by the consulate.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Mulder Law office, PA
Mulder Law office, PA | Kyndra L Mulder, Esquire
The requirement that you meet in person within a two year period is clearly stated in the instructions for the application. It is not the consulates responsibility to inform you of this requirement. You may need to make a trip to meet your fiance again and re file or marry in her country and sponsor her as your spouse.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 10/25/2013
Law Offices of Linda Rose Fessler | Linda Fessler
Homeland Security has the final say. They probably caught you in a lie and decided it was a sham engagement.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 10/22/2013
Law Office of Pho Ethan Tran PLLC
Law Office of Pho Ethan Tran PLLC | Pho Ethan Tran
The 2-year meeting requirement is calculated back from the date that the petition was filed with USCIS. Petitions are adjudicated by USCIS, but it is the US consulate that has the final say on whether to grant your fiance a visa to come to the US or not.
Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 10/22/2013
Law Offices of Svetlana Boukhny
Law Offices of Svetlana Boukhny | Svetlana Boukhny
You have to have met your fiance in person within 2 years prior to submitting the fiance visa petition. After that, presumably you would have also kept in touch and met in person if it is a valid relationship. If you did not, perhaps the USCIS determined that it was not a bona fide relationship and that is why it was denied. I have no way of knowing the exact reasons without knowing all the specifics. However, if you believe that the relationship is valid and the denial was in error, there is nothing preventing you from refilling another petition.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 10/22/2013
All American Immigration
All American Immigration | Tom Youngjohn
Meeting within the 2 years BEFORE filing the I-129F. Period.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 10/22/2013
    Alena Shautsova
    Alena Shautsova | Alena Shautsova
    You should discuss all this questions with your lawyer. Read instructions to form I 129F to get answers to your questions at uscis.gov.
    Answer Applies to: New York
    Replied: 10/22/2013
    Law Offices of Grinberg and Segal
    Law Offices of Grinberg and Segal | Alexander Segal
    The other option would be to either file a motion to reopen/reconsider if there is an error in the decision, re-file, or marry and start the immigrant visa process. I would need to review the decision to determine whether you have grounds to challenge it. The petition is adjudicated by DHS. The visa is issued by the U.S. Embassy.
    Answer Applies to: New York
    Replied: 10/22/2013
Click to View More Answers: