What are my options if I was in a car accident on May 11, 2015, hired an attorney and my case is still not settled? 3 Answers as of April 07, 2016

My lawyer said he sent a request of $65,000 on January 14, 2016 and said they should have to respond by March 1, 2016.

Candiano Law Office
Candiano Law Office | Charles J. Candiano
I can answer your question but I don't believe that you really want the answer to the question that you asked. Your options are fairly obvious: 1. drop the claim 2. settle the claim 3. file a lawsuit The question that you probably wish to have answered is "What is my case worth." Nobody can answer that question without the following information: 1. your diagnosed injury 2. your prognosis 3. future medical care 4. invoices from every provider who has rendered medical care to date 5. policy limits of the individual who was at fault 6. your policy limits No insurance company is going to settle the claim without ALL of the above information. Moreover, unless your injuries and medical care clearly merit payment of $100,000 or more, almost no insurance company is going to pay $65,000 without going through the discovery process (exchanging written questions and documents and taking the depositions of the Parties). Discovery will not begin until AFTER your attorney files a lawsuit. All of the above and much more should have been explained to you by your attorney in your initial consult. Always remember that it is simply not possible for you to make any informed decision without having an understanding of the process. Your attorney has a duty to explain the process to you and you have a duty to understand the process. Good luck.
Barry Rabovsky & Associates
Barry Rabovsky & Associates | Barry Rabovsky
If you are not satisfied with your present attorney, you have the right to consult with or hire another attorney. Your current attorney would then retain a lien so that he could be paid for the time he spent on the case when the case settles. Thank you for your email.
Mark G. Patricoski, P.C. | Mark G. Patricoski
That is standard and he is doing all the correct things.