What are my options if I unknowingly bought a broken down car from someone? Posted on July 11, 2011

I recently bought a used car in California. A 1988 Chevy New Yorker. Everything was fine with it until I added oil. Jiffy Lube said there was no oil in it but once oil was put into it, the car smoked from the exhaust very badly. I took it to a mechanic and he said it needs a new engine and it would cost $3000. I bought the car for $1500 and cannot afford that. I also tried to smog it and it didn't pass smog. The mechanic said that in CA the seller is responsible for the smog check and that if he didn't take the car back I could take him to small claims court. I called the seller and he was infuriated and since it has been two weeks since I bought the car he will not buy it back. What should I do?