What are my options if I need a divorce but can't afford the retainer? 7 Answers as of May 14, 2014

I was married in 1995, separated in 2009. We have 2 kids. My daughter, 16, lives with me full time. My husband has never paid me anything. He started a new company approximately 2 years ago and is making great money while I'm struggling with rent, phone, pge, food. He knows I don't have the means to take him to court to fight for what is owed to me. He even sold our home and kept all of the money. I could use a miracle.

Steven Alpers | Steven Alpers
You could try your county bar association for a referral.
Law Office of Linda K. Frieder
Law Office of Linda K. Frieder | Linda K. Frieder, Esq.
There are loco at legal services. Check with the local bar association. You can also have your husband pay your legal fees by order of the court.
You may be entitled to both child and spousal support as well as some of the money from the sale of the home. You really should meet with an experienced family law attorney in a free office consultation to explore your legal options. With that info behind you, you might be able to start the divorce process on your own understanding what your legal rights are.
Law Offices of Julie A. Ringquist | Julie A. Ringquist
Either go to the self help center at your local family law courthouse, or find an attorney to take the case on a very small retainer and start by requesting child support, spousal support, and that your husband pay, or at least contribute to, your attorney fees.
Law Offices of John F. Nicholson
Law Offices of John F. Nicholson | John F. Nicholson
You can probably find an attorney to take your case provided you can show that your husband has a substantial income to pay for all of, or a majority of your legal fees. It is common I divorces that if only one spouse has a substantial income that they have to fund the other party's attorney fees so that there is a level playing field.
    James M. Chandler | James M. Chandler
    If you are in California each court has a family law facilitator that will help you for free. Check with the local court.
    Attorney at Law
    Attorney at Law | Frances An
    Go to the Family Law Facilitator's Office in your county. Ask for help to file the paperwork yourself. Then, actually first, go to the Department of Child Support Services in your county. They are free. They will help you go after him for child and spousal support. Get to work. You can do it. And Best of luck to you.