What are my options if I have a daughter in jail accused of drug charges? 83 Answers as of August 08, 2011

What are my options if I have a daughter in jail accused of drug charges? I am not sure what I can do.

Lowenstein Law Office
Lowenstein Law Office | Anthony Lowenstein
It depends on several factors.
Wallin & Klarich: A Law Corporation
Wallin & Klarich: A Law Corporation | Paul Wallin
You should immediately meet with an experienced criminal defense law firm who can go visit your daughter in jail and get "her side of the story" and then defend her.
A.L.A. Law Group, LLP
A.L.A. Law Group, LLP | Lauren M. Mayfield
You can call the jail and find out what her bail is set at. Before bailing her out you should speak with a criminal defense attorney to see if they can reduce bail or get her released on her own recognizance. You should have an attorney go speak with her right away.
Palumbo and Kosofsky | Michael Palumbo
You should retain counsel for your daughter.
Healan Law Offices
Healan Law Offices | William D. Healan, III
There is no way to answer that question without knowing all the details of your daughter's case. You just need to contact a good criminal defense lawyer.
    Jonathan S. Willett Attorney at Law
    Jonathan S. Willett Attorney at Law | Jonathan S. Willett
    Hello- Most criminal lawyers do not charge for a free consultation. In general, the seriousness of the situation depends upon if she is charged with possession or distribution, or manufacturing. If you talk to your daughter, be aware that most jails record visits and phone calls, so tell her not to talk about it. If she's guilty of possession and has a problem, she needs treatment. Under nearly all circumstances, hiring a lawyer is important to getting a fair shake in court. If she meets the federal poverty guidelines, she may qualify for a public defender.
    Frances R. Johnson
    Frances R. Johnson | Frances R. Johnson
    Your daughter needs an attorney. If she cannot afford one, one will be appointed. If she does not qualify for an appointed attorney, she may need your assistance hiring one. I don't understand what else you may be asking.
    Eric J Schurman, Attorney at Law
    Eric J Schurman, Attorney at Law | Eric James Schurman
    You should hire an attorney to represent her.
    Your only option at this point would be to pay for an appeal.
    There are several options that you have. First do nothing. It may be cruel but it is always an option. Second you can get them an attorney. Decide if they are better off in jail and getting away from drugs or out on bond. Third if you get them out on bond, you should get her in a drug treatment program.
    Law Office of Sean Patrick Walsh
    Law Office of Sean Patrick Walsh | Sean Patrick Walsh
    Bail her out, get a lawyer. Where is she being held?
    Law Office of Maureen Furlong Baldwin
    Law Office of Maureen Furlong Baldwin | Maureen Furlong Baldwin
    If your daughter is in jail on drug charges, your only options are confined to whether to bail her out or to get her an attorney. You can bail her out, ask her attorney to request bail reduction, or perhaps a court-ordered treatment program for some typed of combination of bail and O.R. release. Regarding a attorney, if her case is a felony, and you do not hire an attorney for her, the court will provide the Public Defender. If the case is a misdemeanor, sometimes the defendant decides to plead guilty at the arraignment without discussing the case with an attorney or even reading the police report. You can sometimes read the police reports from the court file if the file is available in the clerk's office that means on a date when the file is NOT pulled for court.
    Potter Law Offices
    Potter Law Offices | Cal J. Potter, III, Esq.
    You can hire an attorney and/or contact a bail bondsman to bail her from jail.
    Attorney at Law
    Attorney at Law | Steven C. Bullock
    Not sure what you mean by "options". But get an attorney familiar with the court and the "system" as it is in the jurisdiction she finds herself. Make sure you and she are comfortable with the attorney's knowledge and experience. Good luck!-Steven Bullock 313-909-3665
    Law Offices of Sean Logue
    Law Offices of Sean Logue | Sean Logue
    You should hire an attorney to represent her, and not rely on the public defender.
    Law Offices of Martina A. Vigil, PC
    Law Offices of Martina A. Vigil, PC | Martina A. Vigil
    Speak to a lawyer immediately. It is important that she not disclose the facts of her case to ANYONE. Anything she says can be used as evidence against her.
    Michael D. Fluke, P.A.
    Michael D. Fluke, P.A. | Michael D. Fluke
    You can hire an attorney to represent her, or, if she cannot afford an attorney, the Public Defender will be appointed. Good luck.
    Gonzalez Law Associates P.C.
    Gonzalez Law Associates P.C. | Carlos Gonzalez
    There isn't much you can do other than hire an attorney for her or try to communicate well with the attorney she has assigned...
    Correia-Champa & Mailhot
    Correia-Champa & Mailhot | Susan Correia Champa
    My advise is that you hire an attorney immediately.
    Attorneys of Michigan, PLLC
    Attorneys of Michigan, PLLC | Daniel Hajji
    The best thing you can do for her is to hire the best Michigan criminal defense attorney that you can afford.
    Gregory Casale Attorney at Law
    Gregory Casale Attorney at Law | Gregory Casale
    The best thing that you can do is hire a criminal defense attorney. They should be able to advise you and represent your daughter.
    Michael Maltby, Attorney at Law
    Michael Maltby, Attorney at Law | Michael Maltby
    I suggest getting your daughter an attorney with experience with drug cases. You need to defend the criminal charges and any drug abuse issues need to be identified. Often this is a wake up call for those involved and an opportunity to address these issues if they are indeed present. Many courts now have a drug court option where drug treatment is offered in lieu of incarceration.
    Laguzzi Law, P.C.
    Laguzzi Law, P.C. | Carina Laguzzi
    Hire and experienced criminal defense attorney and make sure she does not talk about her case to anyone in the interim.
    Gutin and Wolverton
    Gutin and Wolverton | Harley Gutin
    There are many "options". You can retain a lawyer. You can ask the lawyer to get her a bond reduction hearing. The lawyer can meet with your daughter and review the charges. The case may be one that can be fought through motions or by taking it to trial. The case may be one that needs to be worked out. You have many options at this moment.
    That is a very vague question. Basically, you can choose to help her or you can choose not to. If you choose to help her, you may do so in the form of posting bail, if the court allows such. Understand that if you do post bail and your daughter does not cooperate and decides not to go back to court, you could loose the bail posted. Your daughter needs to consult with an attorney who can evaluate the case and advise her of her options.
    John Segelbaum, P.S.
    John Segelbaum, P.S. | John Segelbaum
    You need to consult with an attorney. It is advisable to get her out of jail as soon as possible. If bail has been set, you can post cash bail or contact a bonding company to post a bail bond. An attorney can also seek a reduction of bail. You can contact my office for a free consultation. There are many options for resolving the drug charge depending on the facts and her prior record.
    Law Offices of Jeffery A. Cojocar, PC
    Law Offices of Jeffery A. Cojocar, PC | Jeffery A. Cojocar
    She needs an atorney. Either request an apppointed attorney, o
    Cynthia Henley, Lawyer
    Cynthia Henley, Lawyer | Cynthia Henley
    Your options are to make her bond and get her out of jail to fight the case. If she is an addict, you must make a decision if this is in her best interest. If you meet and talk with her and she wants to get rehab, then get her out. If you meet with her and she is an addict who is out-of-control and doesn't want help, then you might want to leave her in to dry out (and keep her from committing new offenses.) If she is not an addict but just an occasional user, get her out. You can hire a good lawyer to see if there is anything they can do to keep this off her record. Many times there are search and seizure related issues on drug cases. If there are none, then the lawyer will work on damage control to her record.
    Clifford Clendenin & O'Hale, LLP
    Clifford Clendenin & O'Hale, LLP | Locke T. Clifford
    She needs an attorney. She can apply for a public defender or try to hire an attorney. The first step would be to try to get her out of jail by filing a bond motion.
    There are too many issues here to truly answer your question. I can tell you this - find her a lawyer that is local. A local lawyer knows the county politics.

More importantly, he or she can help guide you and your daughter through the process that lies before your daughter.

Now for a more personal answer, you need to find out if your daughter qualifies for a court appointed lawyer. If so, use that resource and put the money you would pay for her lawyer towards rehab if it is applicable. If she was just in the wrong place at the wrong time, use the money to hire a private investigator to help the lawyer.
    Harris Law Firm
    Harris Law Firm | Jennifer C. Robins
    Your daughter needs an attorney. If she is not able to afford one, and if you do not obtain one for her, she should request court-appointed counsel. Most drug charges are felony charges and have serious repercussion on the rest of one's life.
    Drug charges are very serious. Even a first offense may result in more than a seven year sentence upon conviction. As a result hiring experienced and aggressive defense counsel is critical.
    Law Office of Geoffrey M. Yaryan
    Law Office of Geoffrey M. Yaryan | Geoffrey M. Yaryan
    Provide her with an attorney and/or bail her out.
    In my opinion, your best option is to leave her in jail and let her detox. I would need to know a great deal more about your daughter's criminal history or lack thereof to give you any more specific advice. The best I can tell you is consider hiring an attorney. If you would like to discuss this further, I invite you to give me a call.
    When she makes her first appearance it will be for her arraignment. At this time bail will be set. This is the time to request a reduction in bail or an OR release. She will at this hearing hear the charges against her and enter a plea of guilty or not guilty. You can bail her out, hire her an attorney, request the public defender be appointed, or let her represent herself.
    Bloom Legal, LLC
    Bloom Legal, LLC | Seth J. Bloom
    You should hire an attorney to represent your daughter in court and help defend her against her charges. Experienced criminal attorneys know the procedures involved in drug cases and can often determine the best route for negotiating the least severe charges and penalties. Attorneys will also be able to work with you to secure your daughter's release form prison on bond.

If you are seeking legal representation for you daughter in this matter in Louisiana, please contact our firm at the information on this page for a free case evaluation to determine whether or not we would be able to assist you.
    Harrison & Harrison
    Harrison & Harrison | Samuel Harrison
    Your question doesn't give memuch to go on, but generally speaking, there are a few things you can do. 1. Post her bond. It seldom does any good to leave someone in jail while their case goes through the system. 2. Help her find a lawyer or help her apply for and appointed attorney/public defender. 3.Help her find and get into a rehab program. Even if she did not commit the crime she is charged with, the fact she has been charged with a drug related offense is almost always a sure sign she has some degree of involvement in drug use.
    You should retain an experienced criminal attorney in that city who has more than 20 years experience in those courts and therefore knows the police, the prosecutors, the judges, the probation officers, and others who will be involved in the prosecution of the charges. If she is in jail it is because she has a bad record, or has prior bench warrants for not going to court, or the charges are a C or B Felony which carry a possible prison term. She can fight the charges if the evidence is insufficient or have her attorney try to get a drug program. If she successfully completes the program the charges can be dismissed or reduced. If she fails to remain drug free and arrest free she will get between 1-3 years in prison.If the charges are just misdemeanor possession charges the bail should have been reasonable enough for you to have bailed her out by now. The usual bail on a misdemeanor charge of possession of cocaine or heroin is $500-$2000 cash or $5000 bond at the most. You should bail her out before she is harmed in jail, especially if it is in Riker's Island or Bedford. Most of the jails in New York City are pretty tough places to be and they can also be dangerous for young girls. Feel free to call for a consultation.
    What are the charges exactly? Is it a possesion case? Intent to sell? Trafficing? What type of drug? You can calk me ay 818-336-1384 if you would like to discuss further. I would recommend consulting with an attorney to discuss your case in more detail so you can get a more specific answer as to potential options and what to expect.
    California Criminal Defense Center
    California Criminal Defense Center | Ardalon Fakhimi
    It would be wise to consult with a highly qualified criminal defense lawyer to explore your daughter's options. There are many favorable options for those accused of drug violations in California. Of course the options vary depending on the exact nature of the charges and the accused criminal history. If you would like to explore these options further, please contact our office for a free case evaluation.
    Mercado & Hartung
    Mercado & Hartung | Stephanie Hartung
    Well it really depends on the type of drug and how much she is accused of possessing. If she is in jail you can post her bail to have her released, otherwise depending on the severity of the charge, she may be released by the judge or be required to remain in jail during the pendency of her case. You should definitely consult an attorney so you can get more specific and applicable advice. I offer free consultations and can speak with you in person at my office or by phone, and can give you a better idea of how to help your daughter. I understand this must be a very difficult time for you and your family. I would be happy to offer any assistance I can.
    The answer may depend on many different variables. The age and past record of your daughter can be taken into account, the amount and type of drugs, and whether the drugs were for personal use or to be distributed. Additionally, there may need to be a history of your daughter's drug usage to determine whether rehabilitation is necessary or needed. In some jurisdictions in Alabama there are programs called 'Drug Court" which tends to focus on rehabilitation and are designed to not only reform the offender but to also keep the offender from being convicted of the felony offense of illegal drug possession.
    The Law Office of Kevin O'Grady
    The Law Office of Kevin O'Grady | Kevin O'Grady
    Hiring an experienced, private, criminal defense attorney as soon as possible is the best defense for your daughter. Staying in custody only benefits the government and they will use that pressure to try to force your public defender or your daughter to plead quickly without the benefit of a full investigation or trial.
    Answer Applies to: Hawaii
    Kevin Smith, Attorney at Law
    Kevin Smith, Attorney at Law | Kevin Smith
    You should contact an attorney experienced in the defense of criminal drug charges immediately and provide them with a detailed description of the case and circumstances. Be prepared to tell the attorney whether the charges are in state or federal court, whether they are simple possession charges or possession with intent to sell charges, and what the arresting agency was.
    The best thing you can do is consult with an experienced criminal defense attorney to see more about those options. There is a drug court available today that can do wonderful things for her - if she stays in the program. If not, then they do terrible things to her. That way, there's a ton of incentive to do the right thing. Speak to a laywer soon.
    Your best bet is to tell her not to talk to anyone, including police, and to hire her a local, experienced criminal defense attorney who can represent her in the case.
    Hire an attorney to represent her. If bail was set by the court, you can post it to get her out of jail. In any case, make sure you either get her a lawyer, or that she asks for the services of the public defender.
    Your options? Hire her an attorney and support her, or walk away. You can consider posting bail, but that will use up funds youll need for an attorney. The attorney may be able to get bail reduced or her released OR. This is what I advise defendants: What can you do? Hire an attorney, unless you know how to effectively represent yourself in court against a professional prosecutor intending to convict. No amount of free 'tips and hints' from here or anywhere else are going to effectively help you in your defense, other than the advice to exercise the 5th Amendment right to not talk to anyone except an attorney about the case. Most police and prosecutors will happily tell you that 95% of people convict themselves by trying to be 'helpful and cooperative', either during initial contact, questioning, interview or interrogation. If serious about hiring counsel, and if this is in SoCal courts, feel free to contact me.
    Hire a criminal lawyer for her asap. Let me know what county and maybe I can make a recommendation. Call me at number below or email me.
    Lacy Fields, Attorney at Law, LLC
    Lacy Fields, Attorney at Law, LLC | Lacy Fields
    The first thing you will want to do is hire an attorney and begin preparing a defense. The attorney will most likely file a motion for a bond reduction. That way your daughter can be released, or at the very least, her bond can be reduced. Ultimately that decision is up to the judge, but unless she has a criminal history or it is a very serious case, the judge should grant a bond reduction. From there the attorney will request a copy of the police report and begin negotiations with the prosecuting attorney.
    The Law Offices of Gabriel Dorman
    The Law Offices of Gabriel Dorman | Gabriel Dorman
    If you want to help your daughter, the best thing you can do for her is hire an experienced criminal defense attorney. Good luck to you and your daughter.
    Call bailbonds and hire a lawyer!
    Law Office of Andrew Roberts
    Law Office of Andrew Roberts | Andrew Stephen Roberts
    Your option is to hire an attorney or use a public defender. You failed to state her age, previous record, etc.- more important what type of drug charges.
    It depends on many things. Her age, charges and record. If you have a question, call me.
    Law Office of Neal L. Weinstein
    Law Office of Neal L. Weinstein | Neal L. Weinstein
    She will be brought in front of a judge and required to plead guilty or not guilty, and if she has no money or assets and is facing jail, she will be appointed a public defender prior to pleading. If there is a bail set now, you could post it, allowing her to get out on bail, but if she later fails to appear in court, you could lose your bail. If you choose, you have the option to hire an attorney at your cost to represent her.
    Answer Applies to: Maine
    If you have the funds, you can hire an attorney to represent her.
    It is important to understand the charges in your daughter's case, and then to understand in what Court she faces these charges. If this is a simple possession case, then there are several possibilities. If a Juvenile, then there is the possiblity of Diverson. The idea of Diversion is to resolve a matter and keep it off a person's record. There would be requirements which often include supervision, fines, and perhaps education/treatment.

If charged as an adult, a possession charge can be resolved though the use of a 333.7411 plea. Such a plea, offered when the person has no prior record and is charged with possession, will result in the matter not becoming part of the person's public record. Again, there is a period of supervision, fines, costs, and possible education/treatment. If the charges is something more than simple possession, then I would need to know substantially more to address your questions. As an attorney with 24 years of experience, I have represented may individuals with charges such as the ones facing your daughter. I would be interested in discussing this case with you if the case is in the Detroit Metro Area, Wayne, Oakland or Macomb Counties. You may contact me to arrange a mutually convenient date and time to meet.
    First thing is you need to make sure that you daughter has legal representation. Only an experienced criminal lawyer can spot deficiencies in police reports or lab results that may be able to get the charges dismissed or reduced. It also depends on what type of drug charges are we talking here? Is it marijuana or something else. That makes a difference between a misdemeanor and a felony. It also makes a big difference as to what your daughter's past record is if anything. I would suggest retaining a lawyer as soon as possible.
    The Law Offices of Jason Chan
    The Law Offices of Jason Chan | Jason Chan
    Hire a lawyer. The cases are very fact specific. Also it depends on what type of drugs she has been charged.
    Kelly A. Broadbent, Esq.
    Kelly A. Broadbent, Esq. | Kelly Broadbent
    Without more information it's hard to tell what you can do. If your daughter has a lawyer, you would need permission from your daughter to discuss the Case. If she does not have a lawyer you may be able to hire one for her.
    All you can do is retain an attorney to represent her. An attorney can go visit her and discuss her possible defenses and penalties with her. If she can't afford an attorney, she will get the Public Defender appointed. Good luck.
    Law Offices of Scott G. Hilderman
    Law Offices of Scott G. Hilderman | Scott G. Hilderman
    Contact an attorney to discuss her options. It is difficult to provide you with much of an answer given the few facts that you have provided.
    Answer Applies to: Montana
    Law Offices of Marshall Tauber
    Law Offices of Marshall Tauber | Marshall Tauber
    Your daughter needs proper representation from an experienced criminal defense attorney who is knowledgable of the current drug laws, the courts where the charges are pending and, the potential consequences of convictionwhich are largely dependant upon the drugs she possessedthe quantities of same and her prior involvement, if any, with law enforcement. The lawyer needs to know these things, as well as the details concerning the circumstances of her arrest. There is a great deal of difference between possession and possession with intent to deliver. If this is a first drug possession offense there may be ways for your daughter to avoid a conviction altogether. If your daughter was age 20 or under at the time of the offense, and it is a first offense there is another way in which she might be able to avoid a conviction depending upon the charges filed against her.

The lawyer needs to know how she was arrested because there may be search & seizure issues that provide grounds to challenge the legality of the stop and/or the search. These are questions any good lawyer would ask during initial contact with you or your daughter. Other questions include, when is her court next court date? What is the bond? How long has she been held? Were others involved? If your daughter is being held in jail and the bond set is too high for you to pay or, you are unwilling to to pay at this time, a good lawyer will suggest that he/she visit your daughter in jail before the next court date to get answers from her that are necessary to prepare in advance for the next court date and to see if rapport can be established between the lawyer & potential clientwhich is crucial to effective representation in her case.
    The charges can be either misdemeanor or felony depending upon the type of drugs involved and her intention surrounding the possession of the drugs. Typically, the charges would be bondable. The court usually will allow her release pending court appearances with the posting of a bond. The bond can be a signature, surety, or property bond.
    Edward A. Kroll, Attorney at Law
    Edward A. Kroll, Attorney at Law | Edward A. Kroll
    She needs to get an attorney immediately. Also, caution her not to discuss the case with anyone. You are not a lawyer so your phone conversations with her could be monitored. A lawyer can file motions and set hearings to try and get her out of jail before she goes to trial. A lawyer can also work with her on the case to see if it is a case that should be tried, or if a plea bargain is the proper way to go. Get her some help as soon as possible. I am a former prosecutor who has handled a lot of drug cases, form both sides of the aisle. If you have further questions, I would be happy to set up a free consult where we can discuss your options.
    Law Office of James E. Smith
    Law Office of James E. Smith | James Smith
    Get an attorney to get her out or a public defender if you can't afford an attorney.
    Lisa Mulligan Law Offices, LLC
    Lisa Mulligan Law Offices, LLC | Lisa Mulligan
    I'm so sorry to hear about your daughter's incarceration. Your daughter will be assigned a public defender, and you should make sure that your daughter gives your contact info to the public defender so he/she can contact you if necessary. If you have concerns about the public defender, you could also hire a private attorney to help her. Good luck!
    The Purnell Law Firm
    The Purnell Law Firm | Simon Purnell
    It really depends, but the first thing to do is figure out if there is a bond set and get her out (in federal cases a detention hearing will occur within days, in state court case it can take a long time after the initial magistrate hearing before they will be brought over to the court for a status hearing. Next, she will need a lawyer to address the case and whether there are any defenses. From there, there are numerous potential outcomes.
    Law Office of Andrew Subin
    Law Office of Andrew Subin | Andrew Subin
    First thing to do is try to get her out. How much is bail? Has her lawyer asked for bail to be lowered? If she is going to remain in jail while the case proceeds, she needs a lawyer who will quickly resolve the case and get her out of there. Its hard to answer without knowing hte details, but the best things you can do for her are (1) bail her out of jail or (2) hire the best lawyer you can find. Please feel free to contact me with any questions or to schedule a free consultation.
    Law Office of Michael Brodsky
    Law Office of Michael Brodsky | Michael Brodsky
    The 3 things a parent can do for a child accused of a drug crime are 1) look into or arrange for treatment, 2) post bail (if appropriate - sometimes its better that a person with a drug problem remain incarcerated until they can obtain treatment), and 3) hire a good lawyer!
    Benari Law Firm
    Benari Law Firm | Arik T. Benari
    The best thing you can do for her is to hie a competent criminal defense lawyer.
    Allan & Summary
    Allan & Summary | Justin Summary
    Im not sure if your question is about posting bond or the charges themselves. Give me a call if you want to discuss the situation. I don't charge for initial consultations.
    I am a former state and federal prosecutor for over 20 years and now I am a criminal defense attorney with my son. I strongly recommend that you retain an experienced criminal lawyer to meet with you and your daughter as soon as possible, in order to discuss the facts and your rights and options. Without knowing more facts, it is difficult to answer further. Good luck!
    Miller & Harrison, LLC
    Miller & Harrison, LLC | David Harrison
    The choice is whether to post the bond for her and get her out or let her remain in jail. It is normally best to get her out. Then you should determine if she qualifies for the public defender to represent her or whether you want to hire a private lawyer for her. I would eb happy to consult with you about this if you want to contact me.
    Moffitt & Phillips, PLLC
    Moffitt & Phillips, PLLC | Brandon Moffitt
    Hire a lawyer to represent her. Depending on the charges, a lawyer can most likely get a bond set to get her out of jail pending her trial. From there, a lawyer can evaluate your daughter's case and provide legal advice accordingly.
    Answer Applies to: Arkansas
    The Law Office of Eric R. Chandler, P.C., L.L.O.
    The Law Office of Eric R. Chandler, P.C., L.L.O. | Eric R. Chandler
    Probably the only thing you can do is help her find an attorney to represent her.
    Sharifi & Baron
    Sharifi & Baron | S. Yossof Sharifi
    Hire an attorney to get her out right away. Then deal with the case. But first priority is to get her out and the attorney can explore your options which may include pre-trial supervision, bail, or just simple withdrawal of any warrants.
12 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney