What are my options if I got in an accident and I have no insurance? 2 Answers as of May 11, 2016

I was in an accident almost 3 years ago. I was not insured at the time of the accident and received a no insurance ticket. When speaking with the officer at the scene of the accident he asked me if I had ran a red light to cause the accident. I said no but I'm not 100% sure because everything happened so fast. The officer said since I have had a no insurance ticket before that he can't take my word for it. So I think that since the other driver was a lady in her 60's they took her word over mine and put me at fault even though there were no cameras or witnesses. My license was suspended for over a year after the incident. I paid the no insurance ticket and the reinstatement fee and have had SR22 going on my second year. I just received a letter from the secretary of state referring to the accident stating I have 15 days to pay $4,400 or my license will be suspended. What is the $4,400 for? What are my options?

Candiano Law Office
Candiano Law Office | Charles J. Candiano
The $4,400 is to pay for the damage to the other car. You can set up a payment plan. Call the secretary of state ASAP or your license will be suspended, indefinitely.
Law Offices of Henry Repay
Law Offices of Henry Repay | Henry Repay
When faced with no insurance, Illinois has a Safety Responsibility law which allows for the suspension of your license unless: 1. You resolve any claim with the other party (for example, enter into a payment plan or reach a lump sum settlement); 2. You file bankruptcy; 3. You prove you had insurance; 4. You show you were not at fault. See the Secretary of State website for more detailed information: http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/departments/drivers/drivers_license/SR-22_uninsured_crashes/safefinlaw.html.