What are my options if I cannot afford utility pattent fees? 3 Answers as of December 02, 2010

I have an idea that requires a utility patent, but cannot afford the standard fees. What are my options?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Kafantaris Law Group
Kafantaris Law Group | Theo Kafantaris
Most people will file for a provisional patent. This gives you patent pending status, and gives you 12 months to file for a utility patent. Feel free to contact me if you would like further explanation of this process.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 12/2/2010
Mark S. Hubert PC
Mark S. Hubert PC | Mark Hubert
What do you mean when you say standard fees. A patent attorney in LA may charge $15000 to file the same patent that an attorney in another state may charge $3500 to file. I suggest that you look at other states and other attorneys or patent agents (who generally tend to charge less). For example for a utility patent for a mechanical device I generally charge $4500 to $5500 including the drawings and filing fees.
Answer Applies to: Oregon
Replied: 11/18/2010
Ochoa and Associates
Ochoa and Associates | Susan Ochoa Spiering
One option is to file a provisional patent application. It has cheaper fees associated with it. But you only receive a filing date, and have one year to convert it to an actual nonprovisional application, and must pay all the fees. But it gives you one year to be patent pending and look for investors.
Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 11/18/2010
Click to View More Answers: