What are my options if I am having a second thought on an attorney? 9 Answers as of September 01, 2016

I have a so called free consultation with a bankruptcy lawyer I found from googling. During that time of initial meeting, I decided to hire them as my lawyer, paid some money upfront, told them I'd come back with required documents and the rest of the money. Being frustrated trying to gather the documents, I told them on the phone that I am having a second thoughts, not in direct way, of filing the bankruptcy and next thing I know they keep trying to have me come into office without the documents or remaining balance. I just don't understand why they insist I come into the office and talk with nothing to go forward. I have pretty much made up my mind that I would go forward with the filing, but being pressured to come into office to talk. I wonder if I have the right lawyer. Aren’t they supposed to tell me to take my time and get the paper works ready and come see them? I don't know. I am just overwhelmed with this thing and it bothers me to be pressured.

Sounds like you're a bad fit with this lawyer. Ask for a refund in writing.
If you are uncomfortable get another lawyer. No lawyer can prepare your case without the necessary documents however.
You seem like the kind of client that most lawyers would prefer to avoid. You do not mention whether, having made the decision to retain the lawyer, if any additional time was spent gathering information from you about your finances. If so, understand that the free consultation was for a very limited duration and that any additional time spent to assist you is billed at the lawyers hourly rate.
Robert Louque | Robert Louque
I do not know the situation, whether you have an immediate need for a filing or if you are just looking to file at your own pace. Your attorney is probably trying to be helpful. However, you need to feel comfortable with your attorney and if you are already questioning whether you have the right one, it may not hurt to just find another attorney. I see nothing but problems if you are already questioning his/her motives even if he/she is trying to be helpful.
The Orantes Law Firm
The Orantes Law Firm | Giovanni Orantes
Actually, your situation is quite common. Gathering the documents to prepare a petition can seem overwhelming. In my experience, the best approach is to start the petition process by filling out the petition questionnaire with the attorney or his/her paralegal from memory. Since the attorney must, by law, obtain a complete credit report (3 bureaus) as part of the petition process, you can get most of the petition information filled out from the knowledge in your head and the credit report without having first to drive yourself crazy looking for documents. After the first petition preparing visit, it becomes more clear what documents you still need or do not need.
    I am a very experienced attorney. I see nothing wrong here. The attorney wants to move forward. Look at the fee agreement - how long do you have to make payments? Handling things face to face works best. You should be thankful he's offering to meet in person. That's my two cents.
    Other than pay stubs and a credit report very little documentation is generally needed in a consumer BK case. The initial consultation should have been about whether BK is a good option for you and laid out the pros and cons.
    Charles Schneider, P.C.
    Charles Schneider, P.C. | Charles J. Schneider
    Sounds like the problem is yours not theirs. It is not unusual for clients to hesitate after they have decided to file bankruptcy. What you view as pressure I view as perhaps an attempt to reassure you that you are making the right decision. You are undoubtedly fearful as you would be undergoing an operation. Unfortunately filing a bankruptcy demands a lot upon your cooperation. You need to provide information and documentation that ordinarily you would not have to. No one prepares themselves every day for filing bankruptcy just like you do not prepare yourself every day for surgery. Nevertheless the biggest waste of time for attorneys practicing bankruptcy is unprepared clients. Clients who have to be continuously monitored create extra work for the attorney. There are deadlines and demands imposed by the Bankruptcy Code. You will feel pressured by them as the attorney working for you does every day. Consider yourself lucky talk to others whose experience was that once the money was paid they never heard again from the attorney.
    Just tell them that you changed your mind and you are not filing. they can't make you file.