What are my options if being sued for credit card debt? 7 Answers as of March 23, 2011

I am being sued by credit card debt purchaser. What are my options?

The Doan Law Firm
The Doan Law Firm | Shawn Doan
Generally, if you are sued on a credit card debt you have several options, including but not limited to the following: 1) Defending yourself on the debt or retaining an attorney to defend you 2) Settle the debt at an agreed amount 3) File for bankruptcy relief, which will effectuate a dismissal of the complaint 4) Stick your head in the sand It is highly recommend you explore each of these options carefully before making a selection, and then contacting a competent attorney such as us to lead you down the path.
Law Office of Harry L Styron
Law Office of Harry L Styron | Harry L Styron
You can negotiate a settlement with the collection agency or you can file a Chapter 13 or 7 (depending on your own financial circumstance) bankruptcy to get rid of the debt.
Pay the debt, work out a repayment plan with the collection agency, or file for bankruptcy protection. If you are looking for an attorney to assist you, please contact me for a free consultation.
Financial Relief Law Center
Financial Relief Law Center | Mark Alonso
When a creditor sues you there are several options. You can defend the lawsuit if there are grounds to. You can payoff all or part the debt through settlement or a payment plan, if you have the available funds. Last you can file for Bankruptcy and potentially discharge the entire debt.
1. Answer the complaint within 30 days of service of process and fight it in court to see if you can win the lawsuit. 2. Settle it. 3. File a bankruptcy case and discharge the debt if you are eligible for bankruptcy, Chapter 7 or 13.
    1. Pay the debt. 2. Don't pay the debt. 3. Negotiate a reduction in the debt or payoff amount. 4. File bankruptcy.
    Law Office of David P. Farrell
    Law Office of David P. Farrell | David Farrell
    Defend the lawsuit, pay the debt (or make arrangements to pay the debt), or file bankruptcy. Consult with an attorney about your particular situation.