What are my options for a J-1 residence requirement? 3 Answers as of October 14, 2010

What can I do if I have a J-1 visa two year residence requirement?

You have up to 5 years in most instances to utilize your J-1, visa, though your present employer may have the option of sponsoring you in an extension for up to an additional 3 years, after which you have to return to your country for at least one year to obtain a change of status, or have a petition with consular processing to obtain a green card. If you wish to discuss that further, by all means e-mail or call, to arrange a consultation.
JCS Immigration & Visa Law Office
JCS Immigration & Visa Law Office | Jack C. Sung
You can obtain a J-1 Waiver.

http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/info/info_1296.html
You either have to satisfy the 2 year home residency requirement or obtain a waiver thereof prior to being able to apply for an immigrant visa or a nonimmigrant visa, such as H-1B.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or how I can be of further assistance to you in this matter.