What are my options at this point? Is it possible to get a second opinion? 5 Answers as of February 14, 2014

There was a fire in my bedroom caused by a baseboard heater. I have not received the official fire marshal report, but the landlord stated that the fire department deemed that a towel on the floor near the heater was the cause of the blaze. However, I had used that heater on high for the past two months, with no change in location of items in the room all winter, with no issue at all. At the time of the fire, the heater was set between medium and low. Lastly, upon investigation, there are two major locations of burning, that are not connected at all, which leads me to believe that the fire is not directly related to negligence on my part. I have pictures of the damage, however, I believe the greatest obstacle to overcome is the fire marshal report. What are my options at this point? Is it possible to get a second opinion? I assume that if the landlord were to sue me, the court would rule in his favor just by the fire marshal report alone. Thanks for any help.

Stuart P Gelberg
Stuart P Gelberg | Stuart P Gelberg
Still not a landlord tenant Q. Why CAN'T you get a second opinion?
You have no right to a second opinion, but you could hire an expert to investigate and report his findings at trial. Obviously, this would cost thousands of dollars. Keep in mind that your negligence is not criminal, it merely subjects you to civil exposure and this debt can be discharged in a bankruptcy proceeding.
Dessy & Dessy, a Professional Corporation | Ronald D. Dessy
You could hire an appropriate expert providing opinion on the cause of the fire, assuming repairs have not been made and the conditions remain the same as they were immediately following the fire.
James T. Weiner & Associates, P.C.
James T. Weiner & Associates, P.C. | James T. Weiner
You are potentially anticipating issues where there may be none.What are you worried about? If the fire was the result of an accident.. whether you were negligent or not ... insurance should cover the damages. If you are worried about suing someone to collect your damages you should have renters insurance to take care of that.