What are my options after being my application to change my nonimmigrant status was denied? 7 Answers as of December 19, 2010

I just checked my status online. My application 539 was denied. It was for a change from J1 to B2. What are my options? Could I appeal? I am very surprised by this since I did a remarkable job on my paperwork with all supporting documents.

Very simply, you don't change status from a J-1 to a B-2 business tourist visa. And your appeal will fail.
Yes, you could appeal the decision to deny.
Messing Law Offices, P.L.C.
Messing Law Offices, P.L.C. | John Messing
Some people in your situation have simply left at the conclusion of the prior visa and re-entered at any border as a B-2. This could apply to you, unless you have a two year bar as a J-1 which requires you to return home and live in your country of origin before re-applying for admission. A complicating factor now could also be the denial of change of status, which may affect your chances to obtain a visitor visa if you try to return as a visitor in the near future, particularly if you have overstayed the time for departing.

Please note that without a retainer agreement, we do not represent you, no communication is attorney client privileged, and we cannot be responsible for your case.
JCS Immigration & Visa Law Office
JCS Immigration & Visa Law Office | Jack C. Sung
Yes, you can appeal by filing a motion to re-open.Please be advised that if you accrued unlawful presence for more than 180 days, then you will be barred for three years. Thus, you must leave if the decision is not made within 180 days.

If you need assistance, please contact my office and we can help you get this matter resolved.
Law Offices of Daniel Richardson
Law Offices of Daniel Richardson | Daniel R. Richardson
There are a number of restrictions on J1 visas and even with excellent paperwork, if you do not comply with all the restrictions, it would be denied.
    You need hire a lawyer right now to assess your paper work and correspondence from USCIS. You may refile after USCIS's concern is well addressed.
    This happens quite frequently. It has nothing to do with what you filled out on the paperwork but whether the USCIS thought you had a legitimate reason to remain in the US as a tourist. You can try to return to your home country and apply for a B-2 visa.