What are my options after being evicted? 3 Answers as of May 31, 2011

My landlord has given me three different amounts owed for the month of may and none of these amounts add up to what I owe according to my receipts and lease. Now they are evicting me for an amount due that is four times greater than the any of the previous amounts. Is this legal and what options do I have?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Komanapalli Massey LLP
Komanapalli Massey LLP | Mark A. Massey, Esq.
Sounds to me like the landlord is in breach of contract. Landlord/tenant agreements fall under standard contract laws, but there are additional laws respecting things like security deposits which place a heavy burden upon landlords. Check out California Civil Code section 1950.5 re security deposits, and other sections in that code pertaining to other aspects of lease agreements.If they throw you out, they will be on the hook for moving costs, any increased amount of rent required for you to secure a similar residence in that area, and other damages. Not smart on their part. You can handle it in small claims court.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 5/31/2011
Palumbo and Kosofsky
Palumbo and Kosofsky | Michael Palumbo
You need to retain counsel to fight the eviction if you believe it is a wrongful eviction. We can represent you, and can be reached toll free.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 5/27/2011
Law Offices of John J. Ferry, Jr.
Law Offices of John J. Ferry, Jr. | John J. Ferry, Jr.
If a hearing has been scheduled, be sure to go to the hearing and present your evidence as to the amount that is owed. If you want to stay there, you better be able to immediately pay whatever amount the judge says is actually due.
Answer Applies to: Pennsylvania
Replied: 5/27/2011
Click to View More Answers: